What's new

How to get my Sony Bravia EX33's sound play through my Sony Blue Ray home theatre system (1 Viewer)

Sophia

Auditioning
Real Name
Sophia
Hello there! I need some advise, see Nick already had similar problem! I got a new Sony Bravia EX33 LCD TV yesterday, together with the Sony Blue Ray home theatre system BDV-E190. Everything works fine, except I only have sound coming through the home theatre front right and left speakers. I have connected the TV and dvd player with an HDMI cable, but suspenct I need an new digital optical audio cable as well? The guy at the store gave me a audio cable, that fits in the two audio jacks on the dvd player ( red/white) and then has to go into the headphone audo input on the TV. Strange....he said I will only get 2.0 sound or something, because my DSTV is already stereo. I don't know how to get all my speakers playing while watching DSTV or DVD :(
Please help!!
Thanx

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
OK, a couple of questions:

1. Is "DSTV" the equivalent of cable or satelllite TV? (I take it you are not in the US - many of us are not as familiar with the various TV services that are available in other countries)

2. If so, do you have a set top box for this service, or does the coaxial cable run directly from the wall into the TV using the screw-on type connector?

3. By "DVD" did you mean the built-in Blu-ray player in the Sony system, or are you actually using a separate DVD player in addition to the built-in Blu-ray player?

If you are trying to use a separate DVD player, you don't need to. The Blu-ray player will play DVDs, too.

This is important, because your Sony system only has one digital audio input. You will need this for your DSTV service (if it has a set top box).

If you have a set top box for DSTV, you will need one HDMI cable from the box's output, to an HDMI input on the TV. This will handle video (and audio if you want to watch with the Sony system turned off). To get TV sound from the Sony system/speakers, you will ALSO need a digital audio connection between the DSTV box and the Sony system. If your DSTV box has a digital coaxial output (it will be a single RCA-style jack) then simply connect that output to the input on the Sony. If your DSTV box only has a digital optical output (a square-shaped connector, often with a little protective flappy door to keep the dust out) then you'll need an optical to coaxial converter box, like this one, to connect it to the Sony system.

Hopefully this will get you there. If you have more questions, just let us know.

Sophia

Auditioning
Real Name
Sophia
Hi Jason, thank you for the quick reply.
Yes, I am from South Africa. The DSTV I'm talking about is like satelite tv on your side, it has a seperate box, with an RCA cable connecting to the SONY Bravia. Then I have the Blue ray dvd player separate device, I'm using this also to play dvd's. This is then connected to my TV with the HDMI cable.
The strange thing now is, I don't get any sound through my blue ray device speakers if I switch it from TV SPEAKERS - DEVICE SPEAKERS, when watching normal TV. When I watch a Blue ray dvd however, everything is perfect :) So am I understanding you correctly, should I get another digital audio connection from my DSTV box to the Blue ray dvd home theatre system. Thus having an RCA cable in the TV and then another audio cable connected to the dvd player, in order for my normal TV to also play through the surround sound?
Sorry if I ask a lot of questions, this is quite a new concept in this part of our country!
Another thing, the people where I bought the TV and dvd player said that our DSTV is already stereo, so it will only give a 2 phase output, not
5-1 stereo ouput. This makes no sense to me at all, I think there just needs to be another cable attached somewhere, or a setting changed.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
To help us, help you...
You are dealing with products we don't have here...(and in many cases a manufacturers website won't allow us, in the US, to see products for your market)
Can you post a picture of the rear of this DSTV box and a picture of the rear of your audio system(don't know about anyone else, but I'm finding different versions of the BDVE190 for different markets)
Basically the BDVE190 is available in a Europe version and an Asian version. And yes, they are different.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
There are so many possible variables in your situation, I'm not sure where to begin...

Unfortunately, the Sony site is preventing me from downloading the manual for your surround system, so I can't offer specific help on how to set that up, and I can't find any detailed information on your TV to know what connection options it has...

Your main issue - sound coming only from the left/right front speakers for TV - is the result of the Sony Surround system only receiving a stereo signal (stereo, by default, will only utilize the front l/r speakers). If you are using Red/White RCA cables for sound, then the best they can do is stereo. If you are passing the audio in any way through the TV, then you're limited to stereo.

My big question is this DSTV box... is it standard def only? I wish I could see a picture of it (and your other components) to know what options you have available to you.

If the box is only SD and has nothing but red/white/yellow composite outputs, then you should run the yellow video cable from the DSTV box into the TV.

For audio, the Sony has either a headphone-style stereo input ("pin jack" according to the sony specs - not sure what size that is), or a digital coaxial input - so you'll need to convert the red/white RCA from the DSTV to one or the other. There are adapters available for both, but the key is that you need to connect the audio from the DSTV box to the surround system directly. You won't have any sound from the TVs speakers.

We're so used to dealing with digital/HD that these analog only setups actually tend to get more complicated...

Once you get the stereo signal to the Sony Surround system, you'll have to review your manual to find out how to use Dolby ProLogic to simulate surround sound for stereo sources. This is where I wish I had access to your manual - but you need to change the settings in the surround system to make sound come out of more than just the front speakers. Look for a button on the remote that says "Dolby" or "Sound Mode" or "Surround"

Sophia

Auditioning
Real Name
Sophia
I'm struggling to upload the photo's, took a back and front view of each of the three devices for you.
The manual I see is for the Europe version Sonia Bravia, maby that helps? which there were a way for me to send the manual to you, I did find the Sound Mode butten on remote, and dit see these options :
- Sound Mode On
- Dolby Pro Logic ( this is good right??)
- DTS Neo: 6 Cinema
- DTS Neo: 6 Music
- Off
The DSTV box I'm afraid is only standard, it only has the the RCA - red, yellow and white jacks and then two green jacks named RF - in, and RF-out? No idea what that means. At the back of my blue ray, I see another output open named DIGITAL IN AUDIO-TV. Then at the back of my TV, only jacks empty are the headphones - AUDIO out. This is a jack the people at the shop told me to use, they gave me a cable with three points - one plugged in to the headphone jack, and the other two to the component audio in and output on the blue ray. But when I do this, only the two front speakers and sub plays. So don't think that can be correct then.
thanx for the help so far, will keep trying to upload pictures :)
regards

Sophia

Auditioning
Real Name
Sophia
O, and if it helps. My TV is Full HD, and the RCA cable of the DSTV decoder is plugged into the RCA jacks at the back of the TV. The audio from the DSTV is always stereo ( aparently that is the way it is), and it only playes through my TV speakers, can't get it to play through the surround sound of the blue ray :(

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Originally Posted by Sophia /t/326158/how-to-get-my-sony-bravia-ex33s-sound-play-through-my-sony-blue-ray-home-theatre-system#post_4015735
This is a jack the people at the shop told me to use, they gave me a cable with three points - one plugged in to the headphone jack, and the other two to the component audio in and output on the blue ray. But when I do this, only the two front speakers and sub plays. So don't think that can be correct then.

OK., all that does help a great deal.

Though I'm still a little confused on how the audio from the TV (using the adapter) is plugging into the blu-ray system - is there a red/white INPUT on the blu-ray system?

Really, from the standpoint of audio quality, there's going to be no difference whether you leave things hooked up that way, or if you run the audio directly to the blu-ray system from the DSTV box - you're stuck with stereo into the surround system, no other option.

The Dolby ProLogic mode is what you want to use. Whenever you're listening to TV, press that button and a little "DD" light should illuminate on the front panel of the blu-ray system. At this point, you should hear some sound from the center speaker and maybe some sound from the surround speakers (don't expect too much as this is simulated from a stereo signal).

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Yeah, if you have an SD box with yellow/red/white...then you are stuck with DPL.
However...if you have any way to connect an antenna to the TV, you might see what you can snag free over the air. I would assume there is some HD OTA content...But that also depends whereabouts you call home...
A cousin of mine went for the World Cup and visited a few cities while there. He stayed 2 weeks. I went in the late 90s for a Safari, landed in Capetown, left SA via Durban to Windhoek to Lusaka, where I left for Europe again.

Sophia

Auditioning
Real Name
Sophia
Thanx you guys!, helps a lot! the Dolby ProLogic function made even my normal dvd ( not blue-ray) play through all the speakers. Now just to figure out how to get the normal TV/DSTV playing through them. At the moment I only have the HDMI cable plugged in from the TV to the blue-ray, but I also have another audio cable the shop gave me.
Jason, the dvd player has audio outputs (red/white), should I plug this in then and use the earphone jack on the TV? Somewhere there must be a setting I'm missing, I read somewhere that the dvd player must be set to AUX, in order for it to pick up my sound from the TV through that cable. Can't find that, only option I have is the BRAVIA Sync one, where I can choose TV Sound or Blue Ray Sound. This normally works when playing dvd's.
Do you also think I must get another optical cable, because there is a jack on the blue-ray for one, or is that only used when HDMI is not available? I'm thinking now that it is only a setting that needs to change, so that I can at least hear somehting playing through my surround sound speakers, even if it is from a stereo source. Such a pitty I cannot send you the manuals :( Will study them again today, getting guests this weekend and would like to let them watch the sport now on, with proper sound!

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Sophia - what I really need to know is what sort of audio INPUTS the Sony surround sound system has.

Also, can we try to refer to the surround sound system as just the "surround sound system". I'm pretty certain it has a built-in blu-ray player correct? Using the terms "blu-ray" and "DVD player" interchangeably is making it hard to follow...

What we need to do is connect the audio OUTPUT on the DSTV box to an audio INPUT on the surround system. Any audio outputs on the surround system (whether red/white or optical) are unecessary and aren't going to solve the problem.

If you can select "Aux" on the surround sound system, then that implies that there is a set of audio inputs somewhere on the surround sound system. It may be a pair of red/white RCA jacks (INPUTS, not OUTPUTS - they will be labeled "in" or "out" on the back panel), it may be digital coaxial (a single RCA jack, maybe orange, yellow, or black), or it may be a toslink/optical input, which would look a little bit like the left side of this image:

If your surround sound system has a compatible audio input we can use, that's what would make life a bit easier - you won't have to worry about the headphone jack on the tv or anything else.

HOWEVER, if your surround sound system doesn't have any audio inputs, then the only other option may be to use ARC via HDMI. ARC is "Audio Return Channel" and the theory goes that if you connect your TV and surround system using HDMI, AND both support ARC, AND both are from the same manufacturer, then you may be able to get audio into the surround system this way.

I'd much rather rule out the other option first, before exploring ARC since that will likely involve configuring both the TV and the surround system (which is all the more difficult without access to the manuals).

Sophia

Auditioning
Real Name
Sophia
Hi Jason
Eventually got everything to work, I relayed the RCA cable (audio red/white) of the DSTV decoder, to the blue ray player, instead of the TV. Figured out, the Europe version I have does not have an AUX funtion, but AUDIO...so if I switch that on I have sound coming through my centre speakers and the sub. Not good though, in the end the Television has much better quality sound.
thanx for all the advice :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks