What's new

How to get grill off Paradigm PDR-10? (1 Viewer)

cx500d

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave
I tried this with my PDR-12. Unfortunately this post said to pry off the grill, and another said you couldn't get out from the back after removing amp, so I blindly want about prying the front. It seemed to be prying and lifting, but eventually it just broke half the beveled front, and revealed were the ends of course wood screws. Obviously the speaker is screwed in from the back....

Then I took the amp out from the back and disconnected the wires, removed the poly insulation, and it became apparent I could have removed the speaker from the back. I removed the screws from the back with a flexible extension on my cordless drill and phillips bit. The speaker easily came out.

Unfortunately prying the front tore the papery pressed board and broke half of it out and stripped where the wood screws need to go. Even filling the holes and gluing the bevel back together probably will not be sufficient to solidly seal the wood cabinet.

If you have a Paradigm PDR-10 or PDR-12, DO NOT PRY the front grill off. Take the amp out the back, unhook the spade connectors from the speaker, and pull the other wire out (Its a silicon RTV like glue plug). Remove the polyester ~ 1.5" thick batting (it is not glued in, its just loose). Then take the screws out around the speaker, tilt it sideways and lift out. Now you can repair the foam suspension. As I thought, my foam was rotted out and torn all around the edge which I am sure is what caused the rattling.

Pictures are attached....

Attachments

• IMG_2416.JPG
    IMG_2416.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 481
  • IMG_2417.JPG
    IMG_2417.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 336
  • IMG_2418.JPG
    IMG_2418.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 402
  • IMG_2419.JPG
    IMG_2419.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 336
  • IMG_2420.JPG
    IMG_2420.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 333
  • IMG_2421.JPG
    IMG_2421.JPG
    76.6 KB · Views: 402
  • IMG_2422.JPG
    IMG_2422.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 387

Matman72703

Auditioning
Real Name
Matt
I tried this with my PDR-12. Unfortunately this post said to pry off the grill, and another said you couldn't get out from the back after removing amp, so I blindly want about prying the front. It seemed to be prying and lifting, but eventually it just broke half the beveled front, and revealed were the ends of course wood screws. Obviously the speaker is screwed in from the back....

Then I took the amp out from the back and disconnected the wires, removed the poly insulation, and it became apparent I could have removed the speaker from the back. I removed the screws from the back with a flexible extension on my cordless drill and phillips bit. The speaker easily came out.

Unfortunately prying the front tore the papery pressed board and broke half of it out and stripped where the wood screws need to go. Even filling the holes and gluing the bevel back together probably will not be sufficient to solidly seal the wood cabinet.

If you have a Paradigm PDR-10 or PDR-12, DO NOT PRY the front grill off. Take the amp out the back, unhook the spade connectors from the speaker, and pull the other wire out (Its a silicon RTV like glue plug). Remove the polyester ~ 1.5" thick batting (it is not glued in, its just loose). Then take the screws out around the speaker, tilt it sideways and lift out. Now you can repair the foam suspension. As I thought, my foam was rotted out and torn all around the edge which I am sure is what caused the rattling.

Pictures are attached....
Were you successful in your repair effort? Do you have any tips or recommendations after performing this repair?
Thanks!

Redragon

Auditioning
Real Name
Haydn Holloway
Have a 10 year old PDR-10 that has a rumble in it. The rumble appears to be coming from the speaker itself. I would like to examine the speaker, but the grill is firmly attached to the box and I can't get to it. BTW, it is noted that the grill isn't attached normally; ie, not by attachment clips.

Really simple, ignore all the guesswork and nonsense on here. Take the amp out of the back (12 screws) disconnect the speaker terminals from the amp and the front neon. Remove the wadding and undo the speaker screws. It took me less than five minutes.
You can get replacement foam (X2 from china on ebay) for less than $5.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
You know you're resurrecting a four year old thread. The problem is solved or dispensed with long ago.

Redragon

Auditioning
Real Name
Haydn Holloway
Its still the first thing that comes up on Google if you look for a solution online. As a moderator you would be better served removing the misleading guesses that are at the top of the thread.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Its still the first thing that comes up on Google if you look for a solution online. As a moderator you would be better served removing the misleading guesses that are at the top of the thread.
For a new poster here, you're kind of forward with your moderating advice. Anyhow, a warning has been posted in that first suggestion post.

Last edited:

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I think you all should be like three little Fonzies here. :)

Looks like someone joined to find out how to fix their Paradigm, and found the advice they were looking for.

Redragon

Auditioning
Real Name
Haydn Holloway

Looks like someone joined to find out how to fix their Paradigm, and found the advice they were looking for.

Actually I read the online misleading nonsense posted in the first few posts, worked it out myself in a few minutes and joined to save anyone else cutting/breaking/ruining their sub for no good reason.
Incidentally the PDR10 is a fantastically musical sub, I now have two. With highly modded Rogers LS1's in a less than £750 system that no one thats head heard it can believe and in a Mission based AV system. If you tune the slope control to take up where the compact speakers roll off the PDR10 is superb. Ive tried it against REL strata M&K and several others, I have always gone back to it.

DAC

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave Charon

The latest 'someone' who joined to find out how to fix their Paradigm Subwoofer PDR-12 would be me. Thank goodness for the internet and thanks for bumping this thread.

My PDR-12 began to 'rumble'. I suspected it was caused by dry rotting of the surround foam. I followed the instructions provided by cx500d and was able to remove my driver through the back of the cabinet.

NOTE: He stated that the batting inside his cabinet was loose. That was not what I discovered. The batting was attached to the cabinet by about 3 dozen small staples. I was able to pry the staples up using a thin, flat blade screw driver.

I just ordered the surround foam repair kit and look forward to getting my subwoofer back in working order.

Last edited:

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
This old thread helped me as my circa 2000 PDR-10 just recently popped while watching John Wick 2. Was able to remove the driver per the above instructions about removing the amp on the back. The speaker surround foam was clearly dried out and falling apart. Just ordered a replacement foam surround kit from Simply Speakers and will tackle the repair this weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks