What's new

How to get a 480p on a Loewe set from a DVD player? (1 Viewer)

Darrel McBane

Second Unit
I bought a Loewe Calida HD ready TV from GG last week and am trying to hookup my Sony 9000ES progressivescan DVD player utilizing 480p on the set. Now, if I use component to component it is still 480i but looks very good. But, in order to get 480p it needs a component to VGA connection to the set. I ordered a breakout cable from BetterCables and hookup all but the white and yellow cables to the Sony and the VGA connection to the Loewe set. It produces a scrambled image.

Does anyone have any experience with hooking up a progressive scan player using the component to VGA hookup on a Loewe set?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Anyone? I'm not qualified here, as I don't know about the Loewe's "jack pack." But are you using the 9000's progressive-scan output? Hey, Gregg and Jay: You guys know much about those gorgeously styled German sets from Loewe?

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Sorry, Ive never done a Lowes. However, if it were a Tosh, Mits, Pioneer, or Sony, then ... :)

Darrel McBane

Second Unit
I am using the 9000 progressive scan output. But, the Loewe is a different animal than most sets. It thinks it's a computer. :)
In order to output 480p from a computer or DVD player its input is a vga connection. It also uses the vga connection for 1080i HD. I was using the Sony with my Mitsubishi HD RPTV until the Loewe. The saleman at the store says he has seen the Loewe with a progressive scan player using a component to vga connection on the set. Another store told me he wasn't sure the Loewe can put out a 480p from a DVD player. The setup menu on the set has options for 480p from a computer set 640x480. And 480p from a dvd player and also the 1080i for HD. I'm just trying to verify that the Loewe can indeed take the 480p and what kind of cable it will take to do it. The saleman from Good Guys is going to talk to the Loewe guy and verify it. I'm just asking here to see if anyone has a Loewe set using 480p from their player. And how it's hooked up.
Thanks so far! Anyone else!

Doug_L

Stunt Coordinator
Darrel, wish I could help you here, but I can't. What I can do is pay close attention to your thread and give you some pro-Loewe cheering.

I also own a Calida, though a slightly older model (mine cannot display 1080i AFAIK). I am thinking about buying a progressive DVD player, though, and was planning on hooking it up as you have done, through the VGA input. May give this a second thought, now.

Please post any solutions that you find work, be they from Loewe, GG, or any other sources.

Darrel McBane

Second Unit
Hi Doug

A store that sells the Loewe sets say that AudioQuest makes a Component to VGA cable that should work. It sells for about $100. I'm having them send one to a store that is closer to me so I can give it a try. They are using it from a High Def receiver to a Loewe set. Should know by this weekend.

Darrel McBane

Second Unit
Here's what I've found out to get a 480p to a Loewe set.
The component to VGA cable doesn't work from what Loewe is telling both stores that have talked to.
Keydigital makes a transcoder box that will take a component connection and send it to a VGA connection on the Loewe sets.
http://www.keydigital.com/KD-CTCA2.asp
BetterCables also sells it.
http://www.bettercables.com/comtotwovgav.html
As well as Yahoo shopping. Which is the cheapest.
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/homethea.../noname12.html
This box is also needed for people who have the XBox.
Looks like I'll have to send back the BetterCables breakout cable and upgrade to there keydigital unit to get a 480p from my 9000ES. I just wonder if the picture will be better than the internal progressive scan picture that the Loewe shows? But, BetterCable has a 14 day return option if needed.

Doug,

I also have a Loewe Calida 32" t.v. and I was wondering how it all worked out for you. I can't believe that we would have to purchase a transcoder box for $300 to hook up a progressive scan dvd player! My dvd player is not progressive and it looks great. By the way, have you had your t.v. professionally callibrated? Is it worth it with a Loewe?

Larry Seno Jr.

Supporting Actor
God Loewes are NICE. The Europeans can make nice stuff when they put their minds to it. The reason you were/are getting a scrambled picture it because the Breakoutcable merely sends the same signal via a different interface. You actually need the signal CONVERTED to VGA. That would be like...I dont know. But it just doesn't work :) Say trying to output a mono signal and splitting it into 5.1 and complaining that it was still mono :) Same ball park, the breakout cable IS for monitors, but it's for Sync on Green monitors (Old school) that didnt accept the VGA input. And the video card STILL had to send a sync on green signal.

Darrel McBane

Second Unit
No problem Ruben.

The short version is not yet.....!

I sent back the breakout cable to BetterCables and talked to Brad Marcus about the situation with the Loewe. Great guy by the way. I ended up ordering the transcoder and a Silver Serpent VGA to VGA.

Got the order yesterday and hooked everything up and after getting a "No Signal" message from the Loewe set I double checked and notice that the transoders component connection was not a incoming signal but an out going signal. Meaning, they sent the wrong box. UGH! But, mistakes happen. This is not a normal product that BetterCable handles so. I need to send it back. I talked to the store that I purchased the set from and they are loaning me a trancoder box that Loewe sells. It's actually cheaper than the KeyDigital box. It sell for $169. I should be able to hook it up to the set Tuesday. If I had gone with it first I may be a little farther down the path. But...It's all a Home Theater experience...Right!? I can still use the Silver Serpent cable. It is a two meter cable that had a scuff mark on the shrink wrap and Brad sold it to me for $40. Kind of a good news, bad news day. He also threw in an "AVIA" DVD. Like I said, he's a good guy. They offered to next day me the right box. But, I'll give the Loewe box a try first. It could be that nothing will change the signal to the Loewe set.

Anyway that's where I'm at. I'll follow up once I get my next hookup done.

Robert_B

Auditioning
I have a Loewe 38" Aconda and I have used both the Panasonic RP-56p (?) and the Sony 700p (?) both have worked though the Component inputs (not the VGA input). However, the image was slighly less stable (a slight flicker on parts of the image) and some video noise above the top of the image... So, I used both via interlaced which looked great and allowed the excellent de-interlacer in this set to work it's majic.

-robert

Darrel,

Hoew did it work out with the Loewe transcoder box? I would like to buy a progressive scan dvd player for my Loewe t.v. but I am not sure it is worth it. Let me know if you were able to hook it up and if it looks that much better than a non-progressive player.

Rubén

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks