What's new

How to get 5.1 when connecting laptop to TV (through HDMI) to home theater system? (1 Viewer)

retaeht

Agent
Real Name
Edward
When I connect my laptop to my tv (which is hooked up to my home theater system) through hdmi, my laptop only "sees" the tv's stereo speakers so it won't allow me to configure surround sound. What can I do for this to work?
Thanks.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
TVs are 2 channel, which is probably why the computer sees it that way. They also almost always down convert their audio output from hdmi in (even digital out) to 2 channel. So, you need to feed the hdmi to the surround system, then to the TV to get surround sound.

retaeht

Agent
Real Name
Edward
Thanks for your reply. I'm not sure my surround system has HDMI (it's about 10 years old), is there any other way?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
retaeht said:
Thanks for your reply. I'm not sure my surround system has HDMI (it's about 10 years old), is there any other way?
Only if...Your laptop has 6 channel analog...(and if whatever this sound system is...has 6 channel) OrMini-toslink.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Then it probably doesn't. So, you would use a digital optical output on your laptop, if it has one, and connect that to your HT, or you would get a usb adapter that has one designed for surround sound. There are probably several, but here's one I found...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002U3I7CS

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
BTW, if it's a Mac, it has an optical output that plugs in the same place as headphones or speakers, using a special optical cable like this...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FMXKC8/

If it's Windows, it might, but probably doesn't have that and the adapter in my last post should do the trick.

retaeht

Agent
Real Name
Edward
When I tried it earlier with PC->TV->5.1 there seemed to be a difference between what was happening in front left speaker and back left speaker, but wasn't noticeable when listening to whole set-up (used VLC, didn't work with Windows Media Player) and the sound settings on laptop were stereo (can't change to 5.1). Could there actually be a way around having to buy more equipment?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
retaeht said:
When I tried it earlier with PC->TV->5.1 there seemed to be a difference between what was happening in front left speaker and back left speaker, but wasn't noticeable when listening to whole set-up (used VLC, didn't work with Windows Media Player) and the sound settings on laptop were stereo (can't change to 5.1). Could there actually be a way around having to buy more equipment?
The only way to know that...What computer is this since we can't give you any answers what so ever, without knowing.Mac?PC on Vista? 7? 8?What is this sound system?

retaeht

Agent
Real Name
Edward
I'm not sure what sound system it is, the logo is worn off and I bought it 10 years ago. I'll check later if it has HDMI but I highly doubt that it does.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
retaeht said:
I'm not sure what sound system it is, the logo is worn off and I bought it 10 years ago. I'll check later if it has HDMI but I highly doubt that it does.
There should be a model number plaque on the back.If this is a HTiB, it probably only deciphers 2.0 pcm and 5.1 DD.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Anyway, there are too many cooks in the kitchen and I hate to intrude on the HTF monopolization. So, I'll move on.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I can't find out if g71 had mini-toslink either. There are too many subset versions.If your laptop doesn't have mini-toslink, you'll need a usb/mini-toslink.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks