How to find out if a certain movie exists on DVD

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Eddie Horton, Nov 16, 2004.

1. Eddie Horton

Eddie Horton Stunt Coordinator

Is there a web site that can tell you if a movie has ever been released on DVD? The movie is Cannery Row, one of my all time favs that most folks have never heard of, if anyone knows right off the top of their head.

2. GeorgePaul

GeorgePaul Second Unit

The 1982 Steinbeck adaptation with Nick Nolte and Debra Winger is not currently available on DVD, Eddie. There are some justified IMDB bashers on here, but you should always check that site first for a Region 1 DVD release of a film, IMHO. The DVD button under the "Buy This Movie Now On..." box will be gray if the movie is available.

3. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Eddie,

A reasonably good source is the IMDb: Cannery Row. You may notice the little block at the upper right. It says that it isn't known to be on DVD yet. Note however that this is based on Amazon titles.
    It's not a bad idea to check Amazon anyway: if a very well-known title isn't available yet, they sometimes give you an opportunity to "sign up" for it, so they can send you an e-mail if it is announced.

To find a tile in the IMDB in the first place, go to the IMDB search page, enter your title or part of it in the upper left box, select "titles" and go.

Cees

Later: Sorry, George! Only saw your post after I finished mine. Great minds... [​IMG]
    C.

4. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

Instead of IMDB, I would recommend visiting www.dvdpricesearch.com . Unlike IMDB, which lists titles currently available on Amazon, dvdpricesearch lists titles that are out of print.

5. Eddie Horton

Eddie Horton Stunt Coordinator

Thanks, guys.

6. Tim Fleming

Tim Fleming Stunt Coordinator

7. Thomas T

Thomas T Cinematographer

In answer to your question, the rights to Cannery Row are with Warners. It was a pre 1986 MGM film which is now part of the Warners library.

Probably more well known than the film itself is the famous lawsuit filed by Raquel Welch against MGM when they fired her from the film and replaced her with Debra Winger. Welch sued and won a healthy chunk of change which no doubt contributed to MGM's financial downhill spiral.

8. Patrick Soucy

Patrick Soucy Second Unit

I also go on www.dvdaficionado.com for a quick search. You have all the region code DVDs for the title in one click!