What's new

How to find a D-Theater (Hi-Def VHS) player? (1 Viewer)

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Just how rare are these things? As an aficionado of failed formats, I've collected a few working CED videodisc players and every title put out on the format, and over the last year have been getting all the cheap HD-DVDs I can find. I've managed to find 4 D-Theater movies (a few showed up at Big Lots a couple years ago) but it seems impossible to find anything to play them on. Every time I've checked EBay for them, a few tapes come up but no machines. I don't know if any that do get sold go for a lot of money, or are just regarded as junk by most people (I'm hoping the latter since I don't have a lot of money to spend.)

I know the tapes will only play on "D-Theater" machines- there are several other machines that are just D-VHS but those are only good for recording things in digital. If I'm not mistaken, just like early DVD players, encoding for DTS sound was a later addition and the first models of D-Theater decks won't output it.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I guess the question would be which players are fully capable since there were so few models in general -- the best list I could come up with is below, but feel free to add or subtract.

I haven't looked on Ebay recently but I remember seeing a number of 40K and DH5U regularly a couple years ago -- checking today I see a number of 30K players, but not the newer players. avsforum.com used to have a pretty active DVHS community and the players would show up for sale occasionally.

I think these models are fully D-Theater capable.
JVC HM-DH40000U (one sold on Ebay a couple days ago and another 2 weeks ago for around $150)
JVC HM-DH5U (last one sold a week ago for $400 and looks like one available currently on avsforum in the classifieds but not cheap)
JVC HM-DT100U
Marantz MV-8300 (basically 40K clone, but much more uncommon -- I came close to buying one a couple years ago, but opted for the Mits HD2000)

D-Theater without alternate audio capability (no DTS)
JVC HM-30000U

DVHS without D-Theater
Mitsubishi HS-HD1100U
Mitsubishi HS-HD2000U -- my vote for best consumer SVHS recorder ever made (along with the Sony 1000). I have 2 of these Mits that probably would sell for more on Ebay today over 4-5 years after I bought them as new old stock.

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
I have the HM-DH5U . I think it has held it's value in the resale market as it will decode DTS and is the only model with HDMI as well as component out.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Hmm- they seem to be coming out of the woodwork, but I don't have any money to blow right now! Guess I'll have to keep watching more carefully.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks