What's new

How to feed satellite signal thru receiver to VCR??? (1 Viewer)

brianSCH

Auditioning
I'm trying to do something I can't seem to figure out--a little help please!!! I have a GE 4DTV satellite receiver that has the normal component RYB audio/video outputs. I am running these into my Yamaha HTR-5490 receiver under the Cable/Sat audio/video inputs and it works just fine. The problem is I want to feed this signal out my receiver to my JVC HR-S9500U VCR to the front audio/video inputs so I can record satellite off the F-1 input channel and not have to remove the hook-ups from my receiver and move to my VCR, just have them permanently attached. I have my TV antenna cable hooked to my VCR, Line-1 Out on my VCR to VCR-1 In on my Yamaha, and Line-1 In on my VCR to VCR-1 Out on my Yamaha so I can watch one TV program and record another at the same time. The Monitor Out from my Yamaha goes to my TV. Is there any way to run the satellite signal thru my receiver and back out so I can both watch the satelite on my TV and/or record the satellite on my VCR without switching cables all the time. By the way I did try hooking my satellite signal into my Yamaha VCR-2 In and taking the VCR-2 Out to the VCR. No luck. What am I doing wrong or this not possible?? Didn't think I was this dumb!!!! Thanks a bunch for any help, this is a great forum!!

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I'm going to dive into this blind. Usually, a sat receiver will have more than one set of outputs. You could send one set to your receiver and a 2nd set to your VCR.

You can't have a component signal sent to your VCR (via your receiver) because the receiver cannot downgrade the signal to the standard yellow composite video signal. I think that is what you missed.

Glenn

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Brian,

There is a lot of unclear material in your post. For instance, according to the manual for the 5490 on Yamaha’s web site, the “CBL/SAT” input does not have provisions for component video, only composite or S-video.

Also:
I have my TV antenna cable hooked to my VCR, Line-1 Out on my VCR to VCR-1 In on my Yamaha, and Line-1 In on my VCR to VCR-1 Out on my Yamaha so I can watch one TV program and record another at the same time. Is there any way to run the satellite signal thru my receiver and back out so I can both watch the satelite on my TV and/or record the satellite on my VCR without switching cables all the time.
Here’s what you should be able to do with the equipment you have:
  • Watch a sat program and tape either the same sat program, or a separate off-air TV program.
  • Watch one TV program and tape another TV program at the same time.
  • Tape a sat program and watch another off-air TV program.
The caveat is that all video connections have to be the same – that is, all composite, or all S-video.

If all the video connections are the same kind, it should be no problem to tape a sat program while you watch it, especially since you have both the in and out jacks connected between the VCR and receiver.

Whatever input you select on the receiver, both video and audio signals are sent to the VCR. To record all you need to do is set the VCR to “L-1,” which is in the channel line-up right next to the “F-1” setting you’ve been trying to use.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

brianSCH

Auditioning
First of all, my apologies, I meant to say "composite" hook-ups instead of "component". All my connections between my receiver, vcr and television all are "composite". There now that I've eaten crow on that I have a question Wayne about your last paragraph in your reply post. You are correct, I have my VCR hooked up to my receiver with the "in" jacks hooked to "out" jacks. According to what you say with my satellite signal hooked to CBL/SAT if I select that on my reciecer, not only will I watch that on my TV, that signal will also be fed to my VCR thru the Line-1 input jacks on the back of my VCR??? Or if I have anything else hooked up to my receiver such as a DVD, when I select that signal on my receiver, it's sent to my VCR thru the VCR-1 out jacks on my receiver to the Line-1 input jacks on my VCR?? I haven't tried that yet, but I will. That's exactly what I'm trying to do. Again sorry about the confusion!!

brianSCH

Auditioning
Just tried your suggestions Wayne and works like a champ!! I just didn't realize what I had selected on the receiver for an input would be on the Line-1 jacks to record on my VCR!! Thanks again and my hat off to you and this GREAT forum!!

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
First of all, my apologies, I meant to say "composite" hook-ups instead of "component".
Nothing to apologize for, Brian. It’s one of my “pet peeves” that this home theater stuff is overly complicated and confusing. If they can send a man to the moon, you’d think they could design a “plug and play” home theater system. :)

Anyway - glad you got it sorted out – enjoy!

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks