What's new

How to convert DTS -> AC3 with hardware (1 Viewer)

Dogmaps

Auditioning
Real Name
Daniel Oberlin
Hi, I'm new here.

I have a surround system that only accepts AC3 through its Toslink port. I didn't realize this limitation when I purchased the equipment, but now I'm hoping to find some way to play DTS surround material with my system as well.

I'm connecting a number of devices to the system through an HDMI switch that splits out the audio to the Toslink. I was hoping there would be some kind of device that I could use to either convert the Toslink signal from DTS to AC3, or alternatively take an HDMI signal and convert the audio to AC3 if it is not already.

I've looked around and can't seem to find anything like that, but maybe I'm not looking for the right thing. Obviously, I'm looking for the simplest and least expensive solution that I can find.

On my HTPC, I managed to achieve this by installing AC3Filter and using the various players that support it.

The surround system is a Sonos Soundbar, connected to a sub and two rear channels. It's working quite well right now with AC3.

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.

Thanks much!

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
The solution to your problem would be the Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-ray player, which has options to recode Dolby Digital to DTS and vice versa in its Digital Audio menu.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks