How to connect HTPC to TV?

Discussion in 'Home Theater PCs' started by AnandS, Apr 21, 2013.

1. AnandS

AnandS Agent

I am buying a new home and it is in beginning construction phase. I have decided that I will do HTPC...but my PC is in a different room. I would like to use the computer for general purpose (photoshop/word/excel/internet) in my office. But then also have the HTPC feature available on my TV in living room.

I have HDMI connection right now on mobo already plus have two DVI connections that I am using for 2 monitors.

So I have to run cables...wondering what I should be running...HDMI cable alone or I will also need a Ethernet connection from PC to TV?

Note: I am not planning on using the computer at the same time that I may use HTPC features...Unfortunately, I haven't figured out a way to be in two places at the same time yet. :P

2. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    The only reason you need an internet connection at the TV is if you buy a TV with smart features...and plan to use them.

3. mattCR

mattCR Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt
    HDMI alone is sufficient, that's audio and video. Everything else will be done by your HTPC

4. AnandS

AnandS Agent

thank you. :)

5. AnandS

AnandS Agent

Are the one directional long run HDMI cables ok for this? I have to make a run of at least 75' from PC to TV

6. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    Buy a 75' hdmi...move your TV closer to check the cable. If 75' causes issues...run hdmi/cat.

7. AnandS

AnandS Agent

thx

8. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll Supporting Actor

Can app and firmware updates for the TV be unloaded and installed via HDMI? If not, then a network cable should also be run to the router or install a wireless dongle, if your TV has that capability.