What's new

how to connect cable box, A/V receiver and TV (1 Viewer)

vacantstare

Auditioning
Real Name
Dana
Hello folks, I'm trying to set up an inexpensive home theater with the following components:

Panasonic Viera tc-l37s1
Sony STR-DH540
Motorola DCT 2500
Roku

I have the roku/receiver/tv part working fine, but I am not sure how to get the signal from the cable box to the tv through the receiver.

Cable box has no HDMI, and the receiver has no S-video, so I am using the rca style Video feed.

Initially, the only connection I had from the receiver to the TV was the HDMI, and that worked fine for carrying the Roku signal, but not the signal from the cable box. I worked around it by running the video RCA cable directly from the cable box to the tv, but it seems like there should be a way to pipe that signal to the receiver, then on to the tv.

Do I need one RCA cable from the cable box to the receiver, and another from the receiver to the tv?

thanks!

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
The Sony 540 doesn't do analog to digital video conversion so you would need a composite connection from the 540 to the display. But s-video is a better option then composite so I would use an s-video cable from the cable box to the display.

Sabby

Auditioning
Real Name
Rick
You will not get high definition to the TV with S video or composite. Since your receiver does not have component video out your options are to leave it the way you have it wired or get a new cable box.I would try to get a new cable box as schan1269 suggested

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation483
Recent bookmarks