What's new

how to connect "assistive hearing" device? (1 Viewer)

GlennB

Auditioning
The receiver for our HT is an Onkyo TX-SR600. Because I am in the category of "hard of hearing" I keep the volume setting louder than my wife, and others, prefer. Even when I wear hearing aids I need the volume to be louder than she, and others, would like.
I thought maybe a hearing assistive device such as are available in movie theatres would be a good solution to this problem. I saw a product advertised called "TV Ears". I'd like to give it a try.
But there appears to be a problem. The “TV Ears” device needs to be plugged into an audio output, such as an “Audio Out” jack or a headphone jack. My Onkyo TX-SR600 receiver does have a “Headphone Jack” but when you plug into it the speakers are turned OFF. I need the speakers ON for my wife to hear. I don’t know where else I could connect.
Any ideas?

Also, “TV Ears” is the only assistive hearing device I know of. Likely there are others. Any of you know?

Glenn

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
If the Onkyo has pre-outputs you can use those, but it may require some adapter cabling if the TV Ears are only set up for headphone jacks.

If there are no headphone jacks, tape monitor outputs could be used. That might be better, because it’s a constant-level signal (i.e., independent from the volume control).

A Yahoo search turned up this. Pricier, but designed for signals from RCA jacks, it appears:

http://store.yahoo.com/earplugstore/seintvaslide.html

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Michael.M.C

Stunt Coordinator
Do these devices have their own volume controls? Can these devices be used if the tv volume is turned completely down i.e. wife sleeping and I want to watch tv?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks