What's new

how to change Analog to Digital (1 Viewer)

Don

Second Unit
ok on my receiver i have a light one of the ones that light up when something is on its always on analog but right next to it it says digital. anyone know how i can change this or what it means. by the way i have a denon avr-3200 receiver. Don,

Don

Second Unit
I have a toslink cable going into the receiver. also i am playing D.D. movies but if i don't have a Digital source how do i know what to look for so the digital source works. Don,

RobWil

Supporting Actor
Is the toslink cable coming from the DVD audio to the receiver? Some recievers will auto-sense the signal and some you have to go into the 'Audio Input Setup' and set each input to either analog or coax or optical, and what numbered input to use.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I have a toslink cable going into the receiver.
From what?

I see from your other posts that you connected a DVD-A player to the receiver by six analog cables. Is that still the case? A DVD player is a digital source, but if it's sending the signal to the receiver by an analog connection, the receiver only knows what it's being fed.

M.

Don

Second Unit
ok i still have the dvd player hooked up to the 6 ch. ext. in the toslink is going out the the receiver. and i have the dvd player set so the speakers are set on small same as the receiver is. am i missing anything here. Don,

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
It sounds like your receiver is configured to use the six analog connections and not the Toslink connection. I don't now the Denon models, so I can't tell you how to reconfigure the receiver, but the manual should tell you.

Of course, once you switch to the Toslink, you'll no longer get DVD-A.

i have the dvd player set so the speakers are set on small same as the receiver is
This has nothing to do with speaker settings.

M.

Don

Second Unit
Duh ok i guess i'll take the toslink off then do you know how i can turn up the volume on the rear speakers. i did a test tone and the rear speakers were the lowest sounding could barely hear them at all. Don,

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
As I said, I don't know the Denon models. You'll have to see what the manual says about calibrating speaker levels.

M.

Don

Second Unit
ok mike the Duh. was for me being stupid i was doing stuff according to the manual and i just found out that bitstream is digital i thought it was for composite oh well i'll try to find the speaker controls in the manual but so far i havent found it. also Denon Customers Service Bites. Don,

SvenS

Second Unit
You would be better off using the toslink/Coaxial Digital cable for watching all Dolby & DTS DVD's as any good surround receiver will do a much better job decoding then a DVD player's built-in decoder does. You should have a setting on your DVD player and/or your receiver that either turns off the analog 5.1 (DVD player) or ignores it (receiver). Also with using the 5.1 analog inputs you are not going to get any DD-EX or DTS-ES 6.1 signals to your receiver.

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
The 3200 can't decode DTS internally. It only has DD built-in. So if one wants both DD and DTS, the 3200's external inputs are the easiest way to run things from a DVD player that decodes both DD and DTS. If your DVD player doesn't have a DTS decoder in it, then the digital connection would be fine...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks