What's new

How Recession slowed TV DVD releases? (1 Viewer)

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Dear Guys:

I know we're in a painful recession/economic slowdown and some people are hurting more than others. And I know that it's affected us in how and why we purchase our favorite DVD releases, but I know that the most popular titles are still being released such as Mission Impossible, Hawaii 5-0, JAG, Seventh Heaven, etc.

But for those of you in the know,how has the recession directly slowed down what DVD releases?

I know there's quite a bit of slowdown in the Children's Classic TV releases. I bit WB Animation would have released a few more titles by now otherwise. I'm guessing we might have seen genre shows like Frankenstein Jr and the Herculoids by this year.

Disney is still doing well with their classic films and current movies such as Sleeping Beauty and Bolt, but I haven't seen any more tv collections like Gummi Bears volume 2 or Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers 3 for over a year.

What titles or genres do you see slowing down now. Guesses? Opinions?

James Smith

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
James,

Thanks for starting this thread. We've talked a little bit on other threads about this issue but it needed its own sounding Bd, imo.

I'm not one in the "know"
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
but I admit to being pleasantly surprised at a couple of ongoing releaes where I'd have guessed that they would be dropped, since they're (dabatable) not considered mainstream releases such as the ones you mentioned.

Steve Canyon
Donna Reed Show
Father Knows Best

If someone had asked me prior to the upcoming release news about these, I'd have guessed they might have become casualties of the economy.

Some here, perhaps most, think that the independents, (Shout! ,etc) are keeping these releases on the active list since they don't require the large sales #'s that the major studios do to generate continued season sets.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
My Purchasing has slowed a bit, but that's because of the Massive Library I have accumulated over the last two years. I figure it will take YEARS to watch every TV Episode and Movie I have purchased using the money that had formerly been used to pay my Cable Subscription Fee. :D Most of purchases this year will be concentrated on Seasons Sets from Series I own (Like the upcoming S4V1 Set of VTTBOTS and S6 of Hawaii Five-O. Three "Splurge Purchases" will take place this year, the first will be Next Month, the others will be in August and December, God Willing. Of course you never know when someone such as The Big River or DeeDees will have a 'Blowout" sale, If a really good Bargain comes along I'll take advantage of it. (Such as last year when I was able to get Space 1999 & The World at War for less than 60 Bucks!:emoji_thumbsup: As for the Economy, Hang in there, things will bottom out eventually, then this too will come to pass. In the meantime curl up on your favorate Couch or Chair, and pop-in a DVD or two!;)

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
This is just my theory, but I have a funny feeling that part of the reason we're noticing a slowdown is because the studios are waiting to see how big BluRay takes off. They maybe don't want to start releasing some long-running show on SD only to see the format suddenly become obsolete, and have the fans demand that show be upgraded to BD.

Those of you have upgraded to BD understand what I mean. Overnight, you want everything in hi-def. When I bought my BR set-up, I immediately stopped wanting standard-def dvds. I've only bought about 2 or 3 which happened to be in the bargain bin for $5 or whatever. I don't really want to buy tv shows on standard-def when I know how beautiful they'd look on BR.

When faced with the choice, I always get off the dime and spend more on the BluRay version. I do think the studios are being very timid with moving forward, in a bad economic climate, and in the middle of a format change.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Just fine-tuning the question a bit, but what tv releases do you think might have come out by now, if the recession hadn't hit?

I think the Herculoids, Frankenstein Jr and the Impossibles, and more HB cartoons would have come out. Possibly Gummi Bears volume 2, Chip n'Dale Rescue Rangers 3,

Any guesses on your part

James Smith

nikkif99uk

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nikki Fineing
Whether its the recession or just Sony in general, shows like All in the Family, The Jeffersons, and all those others they stopped at Season 1. Also 20th Century Fox's Bob Newhart show and Newhart. Oh and thought we might have seen Paramoun'ts Season 5 of Touched By an Angel. Seeing as many of those stopped in 2006/2007 as economy was starting to decline back then I think.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
It really hasn't slowed. With so many titles on the market and the more expension blu ray, the industry has just confused consumers about the formats that they've slowed their purchases. DVD sales continue to outpace blu ray sales in this tough economy as more and more consumers are watching prices and going for the most affordable.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Well I don't even see any slowdown, (except on the part of Sony and its blasted sitcom collections). But for the rest of them, the month of April brings us:

Dynasty
Beverly Hills 90210
Wings
The Waltons
Dallas
The Paper Chase
Rhoda
Knots Landing
Hawaii Five-O
Wyatt Earp
Spin City
Star Trek (Blu-Ray)
Mission Impossible

Next month? How about we begin our long-awaited dvd collections of Peyton Place and Designing Women?

See, in other words, even though our particular favorites may be, irritatingly, not on the schedule, there's still plenty to buy and enjoy.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
The slowdown started before the recession began. As Ethan pointed out, there is still stuff coming out, but the saturation point was reached long ago. It's a tough market and it's only going to get tougher. Retail sales are down across the board. Music and video stores are going out of business (it may be time to start a candlelight vigil for Blockbuster).

angelad

Auditioning
Real Name
Angela Davis
I have found myself saving a bit of random cash, and spending money on less titles, but focusing on quality instead. I can't afford to buy dvds on a whim anymore, which is probably a good thing.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Any other opinions? I'm going through cartoon/Saturday Morning DVD withdrawl. I'm anxiously awaiting Tiny Toons volume 2 (with no extras sob sob). Then WB's Saturday Morning 60's and 70's collection in May. Than Monster Squad in June. Than. . . . Nothing.

The Recession is affecting our releases? Dang it! I want more obscure stuff like "It's About Time," "Salvage 1," "Young Maverick," . . I want Gummi Bears 2, Chip n' Dale Rescue Rangers 3, Buzz Lightyear. . . Duck Dodgers. . .

Stalog just stopped publication at the newstand. I'm going to have to go to magazines like SciFi Now and SFX for info now. Mad Magazine is stepping back to four issues a year.

What's happening to us people?

James

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Most likely, that's the internet's effect on magazine sales rather than a recession (though that probably didn't help either). I rarely bought Starlog but when I read that it was done, I assume that Fangoria is probably on its last legs too and that'll bum me out when they close up shop.

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
The "complete series boxsets" seem to have slowed down somewhat, I was expecting to see Cheers, Frasier, Magnum PI and others to get such a release.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks