What's new

How Nightmare on Elm Street Collection DVD... (1 Viewer)

Eric Emma

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Eric H. Emma
Nightmare on Elm Street like my third favorite horror movie series(Friday the 13th and Evil Dead are 1st and Second)...

I love Nightmare on Elm Street 1 and 3, hated 2... Those are the only ones I've seen should I get the Box Set? Is the video/audio quality good? How bout extras? I usually check critics reviews but I like to hear from fans since they usually give me what I'm looking for...

Esten

Supporting Actor
Yes,you should definitely get the boxset.Check www.dvdpricesearch.com for the lowest price.

I love all the films.Alot of the sequels,mainly Freddy's Dead,has some really bad subplots involving long-lost daughters and flying dream sperm and some bad characters,but aside from that - all of them are worth a watch.
The transfers on the DVDs aren't perfect,but they are definitely the best the films have ever looked.Just don't listen to the 5.1 mixes on 1-3.@_@WAY uneven.

As for the extras.... they are adequate.Interviews,music video(with the omission of "Love Kills" by the Vinnie Vincent Invasion.:frowning: ),brief MTV appearances by Freddy,2 commentaries(on 1 and WCNN),trailers and various other stuff.
They didn't include alot of of extras that was previously released on video/laserdisc,though.Like all the extras from the Elite SE Laserdisc,Making-ofs for 4 and 6.Along with various other stuff.

Anyway,the boxset is a good value for the $50 it goes for now.Hell,I paid $110 on release day,and don't regret it.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Myself, the only films in the series I really liked enough to own were the first and WES CRAVEN'S NEW NIGHTMARE. I lucked out and found a shop selling a broken box set, so I was able to get the supplements disc separately from the rest.

StephenC

Stunt Coordinator
There are alot of things to consider when looking at the NOES releases.The box set has 3-d glasses for Freddys Dead,the single release does not.Most of the extras can be found on the Encyclepedia disk that comes with the box set but if you are looking for just the films,I picked up 2,3,4, and 5 for $7 at Wal-Mart.I was able to find the encyclepedia disk at a used cd shop for $9.

The single disk releases contain the Widescreen and Full frame versions of the film.I beleive I saw on another site that 1,2, and 3 were filmed full frame.I'm not an expert but when comparing the two versions,it does seem like there is some information missing on the top and bottom on the widescreen versions.

Eugene Esterly

Supporting Actor
Go with the Boxed set. I own the Box Set (I owned it since July 2001. Purchased used from Amazon.com Marketplace). The audio & video quality are good on all 7 NOES movies. The 8th disc is excellent & contains a lot of extras. One of my favorite extras on the 8th disc is a music video which I believe is called Dream Warriors.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Another thing to consider is that the commentary track on the first film is not new, it's been recycled from the LD, still great commentary though.

Esten,
your the only other person who's ever mentioned the absence of Vinnie Vincent's song besides myself. It really did suck when I discovered it wasn't their. :frowning:

Beau

Supporting Actor
I have a question, I have the set, but does anyone know about the extra eighth disc, how there's that labryinth thing, and then there's that index thing for all the movies, are all the things in the labryinth different or the same as the stuff in the index. I didn't really like the labryinth thing, and wanted to know if there's still stuff in there that isn't in the index.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Beau,

I believe that the index has the entire contents of the labrynth. I also gave up on the labrynth, it's very creepy and atmospheric, but ultimatly a pain in the ass.

Joshua Moran

Supporting Actor
From my understanding the single version of Freddy's Dead does not have the 3D-sequence at all it is only on the Box Set version.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
If you are going to get the box... get it from Canada. I got it late last year for about $55 from the Great North ;) Same discs, same packaging (non-bilingual)... only difference is a small Canadian rating sticker on the bottom.
(Best DVD deal... EVER :D )

Esten

Supporting Actor
Esten,
your the only other person who's ever mentioned the absence of Vinnie Vincent's song besides myself. It really did suck when I discovered it wasn't their.

.Lasts about a minute.

Another scene with Doc training Tracy.

When Maggie puts the glasses on she looks at the camera and says "NOW!" signaling the audience to put on the 3-D glasses.

There is a cool scene with a lightbulb that is only in the TV cut.

I know i'm forgetting something.Hrm.

I probably just gave alot of info nobody wanted to know.Heh.

DeanWalsh

Second Unit
Esten: I take it your sig is refering to something to do with Freddy vs. Jason being tampered with? Can u elaborate?

By the way I was wondering if anyone has the same problem as me... I've found the black ink on the disc covers in the box set seem to wear off very easily.

Esten

Supporting Actor
Esten: I take it your sig is refering to something to do with Freddy vs. Jason being tampered with? Can u elaborate?
The film hasn't been tampered with that i'm aware of,but I wouldn't put it past New Line.
Englund said the quote in this Arrow In The Head Interview:
http://www.arrowinthehead.com/interview73.htm
He wasn't speaking of FVJ,but I still found him telling people to look for bootlegs quite funny.Heh.

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
Get the set! I bought it not to long ago and loved it to death! Such memories, man, the 80's rocked....

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Beau,

There is material in the Labyrinth that is NOT in the index. There is a FAQ floating around with the details. The extra materail can be accessed by entering title numbers with your remore. Search Yahoo for NIGHTMARE ENCYCLOPEDIA FAQ or I will post it when I get home.

Best of luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks