What's new

How Much Would It Cost for Them to Add 720P? (1 Viewer)

John S

Senior HTF Member
No, since it was a bet we tried to make it as fair as possble.... So we only used CBS NFL to try to see the difference. (1080i from all I knwo about their NFL HD broadcasts)

My display is a 60" Philips CRT RPTV. His Display was one of the big Sony CRT direct view widescreens.

I do agree, in the non-consumer lines of displays there probably are more visable differences. As I said, I do believe the source / camera is even more important than the output on this and being able to tell a difference.

I am still shocked by our results though. In other words on the source side, I think you may be able to tell, but on the output side, man I'd sure like to see some blind testing of it.

It is a hard test to perform accurately, becasue I know of no displays that do 720p and 1080i natively. So there is some upconversion / down conversion involved here for sure.

Try it yourself with yur display... Take your set top box, and try the output at various res's, and post back what you find. The blind part can be done easily with a somewhat knowledable helper ya know...

PS: We as consumers do not get to decide on the source back to the cameras. And anywhere along the chain to your display from those cameras can introduce it's own issues for a fair test as well.

I still assert on the output side, at viewing distance very very few people would be able to tell 480p, from 720p, to 1080i on their displays.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks