What's new

How Much $$$ For A Vinyl Setup (1 Viewer)

Jason Garrett

Stunt Coordinator
How much minimum for a system that would show off whatever potential benefit there is of vinyl? Even for just a 2 channel setup with components from Ebay or Craig’s List? Maybe a ballpark for new components too.

Thanks!

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
You can get going with a Rega P1 for $350 or so. But you might want to add a $100-$200 cart to really show it off.

I would also factor in buying a record cleaning machine (KBM starts at $160) if you plan on buying lots of used LPs.

You will really be impressed what a good P1 table can do. You can always step up to a P3 if you want better sound.

Jason Garrett

Stunt Coordinator
How much do you think for an amp/receiver and speakers that would let you hear the benefit of vinyl? I’m just curious what people who are into vinyl would say a minimum setup would run to have any audible benefit of the format. I don’t mean a top of the line system….just entry level.

Personally, I have an Onkyo TX700SR receiver and 5 Ascend CBM-170 with an Adire Audio Rava sub…..and a Panny CP 72….. it’s nothing fancy, but I think it sounds pretty decent for the money. I was blessed with some guidance from here on most of my choices.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Considering how horrendously most modern CDs are mastered, it doesn't take much. ---> http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...mastering.html

Do you like how well mastered CD music sounds through your system? Your Onkyo TX700SR has a phono input already, all you need to to is hook up a turntable up and you're good to go.

The Rega P1 which Lee recommends is a nice table. I auditioned one of those a couple weeks ago and was not as impressed as I thought I would be when compared to my mid 90s Denon DP7f (to be fair my Denon was about the same price as the Rega back in 1995 when I bought it so it's not crap - I'm not sure what I expected).

There's nothing magical about vinyl that requires any specific "revealing" system to take advantage of. The cheapest turntable that I personally would trust with my record collection today new would be a Technics SL-BD20D, which is about a $150 table (an upgrade to the cartridge would probably be a requirement for me to use this table - I've never heard the stock cartridge). I would not recommend any other model between that and the Rega P1 that Lee recommends. Every other inexpensive turntable that I'm familiar with on the market today is crap.

Other companies that make nice sub-$500 turntables include Pro-ject, Thorens, and Denon (though I would not recommend the Denon DP29F).

Budget Turntables: From $99.99, Choose From Over 120 Turntables, 800-229-0644

Anyways - back to the original question - do you like the sound of music through your system? If the answer is yes, you'll like vinyl through it. It really is that simple.

Also, check your local craigslist for bargains on used tables. Unlike today, back in the 80s most every major electronics manufacturer made decent quality entry level tables like the Technics SL-BD20D I recommend above. Though to be honest Technics always owned the lower end table market simply becuase their products were the best at their price point. A used Onkyo, Pioneer, Sony, Technics, etc. can work just fine. You'll probably need a belt if it's old and belt driven. You'll want a new needle or cartridge if you buy used. If the table has a "P-Mount" it's a plug-and-play affair. If it has two screws in a head holding the cart it's standard mount. Getting the installation right is best left to the pros at your local hifi shop.

Jason Garrett

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the replies. I was actually asking for the benefit of people on another board what might be the so called entry level price of a nice 2 channel setup that would be considered minimum to really enjoy any audible benefit that vinyl had over cd.

Any components come to mind for a nice inexpensive 2 channel setup?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks