What's new

How Much Do You Know About the World? (1 Viewer)

mylan

Screenwriter
19/20, I missed the immigration question, I knew the numbers were large but I had no idea.

Jimi C

Screenwriter
17/20. Missed the CSI question, Population growth due to immigration (went with 5%, guess they were counting illegal immigrants as well?) and biggest exporter in dollars (also thought it was China).

I think the most telling question was the one about the most widespread spoken language. Over 70% selected english.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I'm surprised to see so many non CSI people on an HT Board. I only missed the immigration question for the US (I said 22 percent)

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I do want to add that I got 6 hours sleep last night and it was 6am when I did the test and got 12/20. I just went thru it again and got a 20/20. ;)

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
For those people who read the rest of the page it answered this question. The idea was not that CSI is important but rather it was to show what kids knew (i.e. more knew the CSI answer than most of the other answers, etc.).

Besides the scores, I'm finding it interesting to see how many people misread the questions (i.e. reading comprehension).

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Likewise, but I guessed too high, 54% when the answer was 33%.

As for Mandarin, just consider that over and above the 1.2-1.3 billion Chinese in China itself, there are another 350 million or so ethnic Chinese scattered around the world; not all speak Mandarin, but I'm sure many do. Although the point about "primary" language is quite a fair one: I do wonder myself how many Chinese nationals consider Mandarin, rather than a regional dialect, their primary language.

Dave Simpson

Second Unit

At least there's no mystery here. Unless you're quoting out of context some bit from a movie, this post is offensive. This board may be populated largely by a (North) American audience, but come on, man. Not for nothing is it called the "World" wide web. Cheers.

DS.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
English is a very popular second language (a billion or so). But that wasn't what the survey was asking

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg

It's a reworking of a song from Team America, and it reads to me like a slam on America, not India or China. If someone wants to slam America, I wish they wouldn't do it in response to one of my posts.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
18/20 - missed what quite a few people seem to be missing, dollar export and population growth from immigration. I picked China and 5%.

I can't believe that almost 60% of people thought the US population was 500 million or more!

Besides being a big story in the news recently about passing 300m, how could people really think there are 1 to 2 billion people here?

Never watch CSI but have been beaten in the head enough with ads about Las Vegas being the first location.

Dave Simpson

Second Unit

Thanks for the clarification, Greg. I've had this movie on the shelf for greater than a year now and I've yet to watch it. And upon re-reading the post with which I took issue, I think I've been a little thin-skinned; it indeed reads like a poke at the ravenous appetites and incredibly expanding belt-lines of some (North) Americans, so apologies to TV55. Cheers.

DS.

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
18/20, I missed the export dollars and percent of immigration.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
I think it's interesting that 74% of the people taking the survey thought that English was the most commonly spoken language on the planet.

It reminds me of the old Steve Martin line about a French taxi driver:

"You know, that French taxi driver didn't even have the courtesy to speak English!"

:laugh:

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member

But it is (or soon will be). It's just not the most commonly spoken primary language.

English comes close to being understandable worldwide. Most speakers of Chinese live in China.

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
I got 20/20 though the percentage of immigrants to the US population was a guess between the 20s and the 30s.

The "dollar value" of exports was cleverly written since I'm sure most of the respondents were thinking that the US has a trade deficit and we buy a lot from China.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks