What's new

How Much do private planes cost? :) (1 Viewer)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Do they cost anymore than a regular flight if you only use them once in a blue moon?

I'm listening to a radio show, and the DJ is talking about how he got frisked, and how he now knows how women feel because the guy who did it took it way over the line. Heh, a retired cop even called in and explained how the searches are supposed to be conducted and said the DJ could sue the guy and airline if he really did go that far.....

So, how much do private planes cost these days for a round trip? Who do you trust, what airlines offer them so you don't have to go through that hassle....

Luckilly, I've never been searched before. I didn't even have to take my sandles off when I wore them one time. But it's just a scary proposition to think about when you plan that next flight...you never know what pervs get by the security check, or when you can say, 'hey, enough is enough' without causing a scene..

Too bad we don't have bullet trains like Japan does. I'd love to t ake a day to travel cross country to CA by train :).

Later!

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
I've either heard or read a news article about this a few years ago. For a single person, renting a private plane will cost significantly more. However, if you're part of a group such as a business delegation, the idea of chartering your own small jet for the duration of the trip becomes highly attractive when factoring in the per-person cost and comparing it with even a lower grade service on a commercial airline.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Some businesses and small corporations time share on small charter planes/jets that operate out of satellite airports (not the main airport for the area. For example, flying out of Teterboro instead of Newark (EWR) in the NJ area market..

Jay

Joel C

Screenwriter
If you want to go beyond and actually fly yourself, I actually just took an introductory flight and wrote an article for work about this (I work for a newspaper). It costs around $5500 to get a private pilot certificate in rental, training, and testing fees.

From there, renting a plane is around $70 per hour, depending on the type you want. Buying one is, from what I could gather, not as expensive as you'd think, but it has to be something you'll use or it isn't worth it (around $50K for a used plane in decent shape). Like, use for a hobby several times a month/week.

Don Black

Screenwriter
Depends on the type of plane. But unless you're talking about flying yourself in a "cheap" prop plane, you're looking at plunking down some serious cash.

A 1/6 timeshare membership with a company like NetJets for their cheapest airplane -- a Cessna Citation-type -- will cost you about $200,000 upfront. On top of that, you'll have to pay a ~$5,000/month management fee to the company.

So what does that get you? Well, for all of that money, you get the priveledge of paying $1,000/hour for up to 50 hours/year of actual flight time.

Do you want me to tell you what it costs for a G5? =)

Flying via private jet is sure a lot of fun though!

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Seems a bit far to go just to avoid the off-chance of a) being searched at the airport and b) happening to be searched by an unusually aggressive or stupid screener. :)

But if you're looking for a cheap way to fly private or corporate jets you need to check out a seat broker. Consider: 6 executives from a New York company fly to Los Angeles for a week in the corporate jet. Does their plane sit in a hanger for 7 days? Of course not. It flies right back east to be available for other uses. The problem - from the company's standpoint - is that it flys back empty. If they're registered with a broker they can sell those seats to private individuals and have the return flight pay for itself or make a small profit, rather than cost them money. (Ditto for the flight back out to L.A. to retrieve those execs.)

CNN has written about this, mentioning one such broker, OneSky. Seat brokers maintain huge databases of planes, companies, flights, etc. which are kept up-to-the-minute so that they match potential fliers to empty seats as close as possible to their final destination.

Obviously this is a much more hit-or-miss approach to scheduling than regular airlines or charter, but it can have advantages over both depending on your circumstances.

Regards,

Joe

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter

Probably the maintenance that kills you. The powerplants requires an FAA mandatory rebuild after so many flight hours, plus avionic/electrical repair or upgrades, airframe maintenance, etc..... I believe partnerships are very popular.

Mary M S

Screenwriter
I believe partnerships are very popular. yes they are and yes it is (expensive).

Love lite (or lightish) planes. Always enjoy being in them much more than the greyhound mass transit sardine versions. But then I don't mind wind in my hair.

A plane is like a boat:
Hole in the water (air) which you throw your money into. :D

AjayM

Screenwriter
There is a popular saying that is rather crass, but it basically goes something like - if it floats, flys or has sex with you it's cheaper to rent. ;)

Shares are popular, but say you don't play well with others :D and want your own, if you want a jet (to get range and/or speed) you can expect to pay 7 to 8 figures for the plane itself (new - used can go all over the map), and then operating costs will run you roughly $1-2k an hour (including flight crew, gas, and maintanence fees). We just recently flew from FL to CA, tickets were about $200 so I paid about $40/hr for flight time.

Granted you can pick up a used Cessna for less than the average new car price. Single prop engine, 1 pilot and 3 other people can go with you, but the 150mph cruise speed and 700 mile range will limit you a bit on that NY to LA trip.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
You know...why dosen't someone start up an airport business for smaller planes? Say, one that holds 50 people? The price would be twice as much as the big guys, but I think it would be very profitable to avoid most of the security hassles....and possibly be better run because of the small size..

That would decrese the need to buy a private plane :) M aybe Jet Blue could do it, heh.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
I don't know about you but when I travel I try to scrimp and save where I can. If that means letting Richard Simmons violate me under the metal detector then so be it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks