What's new

How much do I really need. (1 Viewer)

Mark S T

Auditioning
I have a small 10 X 12 room with hardwood floors and not heavy drapery or anything to speak of. I am going to buy a HDTV and want to add a Home Theater to it. The system recommended by the Home Theater shop was Sony KP51HW40 TV, Sony STRDB1070 Receiver, Sony DVPNS700 DVD and Definitive Technology Procinema 80 speakers. While I have researched and read comments here and elsewhere, I am just wondering is it over kill for such a small room for someone who isn't a DVD junkie or would I be wiser to get something less expensive. Also I would appreciate any comments on the above components.

thanks,

Mark

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
The thing is, you don't need a ton of power for that room, and you can save money by going with a less expensive receiver with fewer features and less power.

Also, while a very nice set of speakers and probably worth the money (I don't know for sure...never heard/seen/priced them)you can likely get 90% of the performance and satisfaction with another suite for less money. Look at the JBL NSP1 for a comparison, plus a sub that you will need to source out.

What's your butget?

What kind of performance are you looking for?

Do you need state of the art for everything?

Good Luck -

- CM

Robert Ma

Second Unit
I can vouch for the JBL NSP1 speakers. Pair them with a half way decent sub and they sound great. I set my father up with them in his tv room powered by a mid line Yamaha.

They really sound great. They are definatley a few notches down from my system, but at the cost - my god! My wife wanted to kill me after knowing what I spent on my complete system and seeing what I set my father up with for 1/4th the cost.

Bob

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hi Mark. Welcome to HTF!
That ProCinema speaker system is considered a "micro" type system. Good for small rooms/dorms. (You wanna see big speakers, ask the shop to show you the BP3000TL's from DefTech :) )
I'm not familar with the Sony receivers, but to drive those speakers, you only need a modest receiver and these are usually in the $500 price range.
Hope this helps.

Mark S T

Auditioning
The system they quoted me was about $2,600 for the TV and about $1,900 for the rest. I only will use it for when I watch DVDs which probably won't be more than once a week or so. No special needs other than to take advantage of HDTV with component inputs etc.

thanks for all the help so far. You guys are great!

MonishS

Auditioning
Mark

The ProCinema 80's should run you about $850-900. The MSRP is $1000, but most dealers will give you a discount on that. Not sure if the receiver and DVD player should then cost $1000 additional. You can get darned good receivers in the $600 range (I got my Denon 2802 for $615 including shipping from 6th Ave)

Hope that helps!

Monish

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Those prices look fair and make sense for a modest system.
My only suggestion would be to ask if they offer a Dennon/Yamaha receiver for that price instead. Sony has a .. un-even reputation when it comes to receivers.
You should also budget:
$40 for a copy of the AVIA DVD
$40 for the Radio Shack SPL Meter (to level adjust)
It sounds like you are going to have fun. :)

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
I only will use it for when I watch DVDs which probably won't be more than once a week or so.
Actually, since HD broadcasts are in Dolby Digital, you will probably want to use your audio system most of the time.

I think after you have it set and working, you'll find that you prefer to run everything through the system, even regular TV watching.

-Vince

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks