What's new

How many powered subs do you have RUNNING in your HT? (2 Viewers)

Ilike Lynn am using 2 REL strata 111 's . I also have a sunfire in the box in my basment. My system use is 99%
music. They integrate very well with my nautilus 804's.
BTW Lynn we had a discussion about the stability of the
n804's on the soundanchor stands. I purchased a pair of
granite plinthes as the English call them from HNE in
England they not only more stable but they sound better.
Now I haxe a pair of stands forsale.

ray

Lynn Little

Stunt Coordinator
"They integrate very well with my nautilus 804's."

You know, I tried my N804s with one, then two 16-46PC+s. I love my 16-46PC+s for HT, and they sound good for music. However, I wound up going back to my Strata III because it has NO sound. You can't tell it's there until you turn it off.

This is NOT a cut to SVS, I absolutely LOVE my twin 16-46PC+s! What they do for movies and DVD music is incredible!

However, for 2 channel sound, the Nautilus 804/Bryston 4B ST/Sound Anchors/Strata III combo just seem to made for each other. Oh yeah, the Perpetual Technology goodies (P-1A DCE, ModWright Signature "Plus" P-3A DAC & Monolithic Sound P3 Power Supply) don't hurt... :D

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
Geoff,

It's already in the Hardware for Sale/Trade forum, no sale yet but there's one potential buyer.

I plan to do two 18" sonotubes 60" tall (after base and legs). After the displacement of 3 4" flared ports, 1.5" mdf end caps, and the small amount for the driver, it'll be 7 cu ft tuned to 18hz. WINISD shows w/540 watts to each, I should be doing 120dB at 18hz. Don't know how the sims translate into real world performance though.

I know what happened with the delay in the 1st preorder and my sub will probably sell soon so I'm going to build a temporary sub that might be added to the Strykes. It's going to be using the same original SVS CS drivers that you have. I'm gonna do dual 12's in one tube, 9 cu ft tuned to 17.5hz. This gives essentially the same response curve as the AV15 enclosure I want to build. I haven't figured out any dimensions yet.

I also found out something new on the Harman receiver's, I'll send the info. in an email.

Frank

Michael Bailey

Stunt Coordinator
Geoff,
I just upgraded a single 18'' Bag End infrasub with two SVS CS ultras. They are powered by a Crown K1 amp. The room is not that big (17x24x9) so that combo really raises the roof.

ross ish

Stunt Coordinator
I have 4 in my 19x17 foot room. Front left corner M&K 5000thx, front right corner dyi Shiva, right rear Hsu VT2, bring up the left rear McIntosh HT2 twin twelves. KaBoom!

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Frank

Oh ya, sounds like a plan to me! Man hope the foundation can handel all that sub-sonic spl.. The thought gives me goose bumbs. lol

The twin original SVS your talking should hold you fine for a while, I'm sure. They shake the living hell out of our place. Those who have never heard a clean 115+ db at 20hz have no idea what their missing....:D

Hi Mike
So another Big Basser!
How do you like your Big Bad :) Bag End 18...Seriously!

Ross
How did you get away with 4 corner loaded subs. Seems like it would be an acoustic nightmare?

Regards
Geoff

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Hi Geoff,____________________________________________ _____

At this time I run a couple of Vel ct-150's and I power up the DLS "I bought on a whim" when we have company to fill a null. With in a few weeks "Thanks to Brian Bunge" I will be running a AV15 in a 28"H X 24W X 26D duel 4" ported black oak enclosure tuned to 20 Hz. This will be powered by the QSC 1450 amp. In another couple weeks I will be running the 12" MK II in a 19"H X 17W X 22D duel 3" ported enclosure tuned to 25 Hz and powerd by Mr. QSC also. This will be a DIY project or I will Have Brian B. build and I will veneer or paint. This sub will be under a corner table close to seating and the prior will be in the R/F corner. I just sold one of the Vel's as you know and I have not decided yet if I will run the one Vel I have left in a stacked con-fig with the AV15 or not. Time will tell? Na! It will most likely find itself out the door and I or Brian "most likely Brian" will build another AV15 clone to replace it if he can put up with me for another project?? ;)

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
I agree... Ross, that has to be an acoustic nightmare. :D

My room is 11'x10'

I originally ran one adire alignment tempest powered by the 290W PE amp. Since I had built 2 enclosures at the same time, I upgraded to a 2nd one about a month later. The first sub was adequate for reference level bass, but there was still some artificial sound coming from the sub at high volumes (though no bottoming out). When I added the 2nd sub, it cleaned up the slight distortion and improved the bass SQ considerably at loud volumes. It also centered the bass to the middle of the soundstage.

I then added bass traps to my room which took 2db from the primary null. I currently use no electronic equalization.

If I upgrade, it might be to dual tumults with passive radiators with at least 1000w each. Then I think I'll have enough headroom and bass sound quality for my 10'x11' room. :D

To the people using mixed subwoofers.. shame, shame, know your name..

HT link

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Steve,

If you're even remotely interested in a second AV15 sub I'd suggest getting in on the preorder. IIRC, they'll only be $165 each as opposed to $205 each afterwards. I think the preorder ends Sunday.

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
I've been keeping an eye out here for word that it started and now I find out it's almost over. Wish John was a little quicker with his emails.

Funny:)

Michael Bailey

Stunt Coordinator
Geoff,
The Bag End was great. It could go low and it was very accurate. The internal 400w amp was just not enough thrust to fill the space with bass. The room is open to the rest of the house on one side which complicated things further. The K1 does a much better job with 1100w.

Douglas S.L

Auditioning
Geoff:

You already know what i have, hell you set it up. Had to make you do something for me when i built my house last year ( just kidding ). But for the rest of you: 2 - A/R SW-30 sealed (powered) subs. You also know i want MORE, MORE, MORE.........Like i told the heating and cooling people, i don't want adequate, i want to be able to grow icicles on the windows if i so choose to. Same goes for my bass, to bad i don't have the money. :frowning:

John H

Second Unit
I run a pair of Velodyne HGS-18's. One loaded in each front room corner. I use an Audio Control PCA III subharmonic synthesizer on the signal. An ART 351 and Rane PE 17 are used for room equalization once subharmonics are added to the original signal.

I also use a pair of platform mounted original Buttkickers driven by a pair of Crown K2's. A PCA III and Behringer EX1200 are used on the tactile transducers signal for bass effect deficient movie material. Most of the time I completely bypass the processors and use a 20Hz lowpass.

Bedroom volume - 2048 cu ft, sealed

John

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Holy Moly John!!!!!!!!!!

Quite the bedroom size & system! Whoa

I've have considered a number of times over the last couple of years introducing a sub-harmonic unit into my system for those seemingly "bass-less" older sound sources. And you have one of the nicest for sure in the very nice Audio Control...

Do you find it truly useful for those less than optimal bass deficient recordings, be it Cable, DVD, CD, VCR, etc?

Many of the older movies being supposedly remixed, many times to 5.1, and re-released on DVD (especialy action and thriller stuff) are quite the major let down in the bass department!

And the EQ-ing, is it definitly nesessary to clean up after insertion of the sub-harmonic unit into the signal?
Very impressive line up of componets John, now let me wipe up the drewl of my keyboard. ;)

Really like Para's new Halo line also.

Thanks in advance
Geoff

John H

Second Unit
Geoff,

Thanks for the compliments. I have been using a PCA on my subwoofers for about 5 years. I use it on all material except most music.

I have it calibrated and it stays engaged the majority of the time. I bypass the synthesizers used on the TT's quite a bit.

John

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
John

Thanks for the reply. Allot of woofage in that their room along with mucho power, and oh so many nice goodies.
Super setup....

You sure your display is big enough!
:laugh: Obviously I'm kidding.

One Heck of a rig you got and thanks for shareing it with us....

Doug:

Nothing to be bummed about with your 2-12"subs. One of the best, if not the best, most accurate sub AR ever built. Not the loudest AR certainly, but better sounding than anythng they currently sell, including the touted Hi Res line.
Ain't nothing wrong with your solid 20hz and under capability. Big mistake AR made dropping that sub. Guess people prefer louder boomier noise to a highly accurate, fantastic blending sealed sub. Mass market, it's always about the dollar...

NOT ragging on the AR Hi Res sub fans, but if you didn't have the chance to listen to this sub, you really missed out.
They sold for around 600.00 smackers six + years ago. You where lucky Doug to get the 2 you did, Brand new and for 1/2 price!

Besides, you can already shake the living hell out of your totally open floor plan 2 story house now.
And thats still not enough, ghesh man!

Regards all
Geoff

John Dude

Auditioning
I have two subs, one stacked on top of the other. With that configuration the coupling should give me roughly 3dB more bass, and then even a little more being they are in the corner. I have 700W to power them. So far, neighbors have not complained.

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
Two Tempests and two shiva's in my main theater, 2 Clarion 10" (from Madisound) for my computer, Blueprint 1201 (old driver) for the bedroom all of which are sealed designs. An undecided (alignment wise) AV15 and considering getting a second.

Tim MC

Auditioning
Hi guys! I use two energy exl-12s subs and i am getting a svs 16-46 cs sent to me rght now :). I only live in a apt but am building for when i buy my house next year :). Now to work on the wife to get the second SVS :)~ .

Tim Mc

Krystian C

Stunt Coordinator
Well 11 subs to be completely honest ;)

I have a pair of Def Tech BP200tl towers, each with a 15" 500w powered sub

The Def Tech 3000 C/L/R center, with 10" 150w powered sub

And then 4 BPVX/P Rear/Surrounds, each with 2 6.5" 125w powered subs.

So a whopping total of 11 subs.

And unfortunately I am still not satisfied. Def Tech just doesn't hit the Hi SPL's at the low levels they promised. sigh...

Looking into Dual SVS CS 16-46's, or possibly 2 SVS PB2-Plus's when they come available, then I can turn all the existing subs off and get some real bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks