What's new

How many own (AR) Acoustic Research speakers?!! (1 Viewer)

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
Brett, it's been great. I was using a Kenwood VR-517 receiver at the time I purchased it from you, and I've since upgraded to a Harman/Kardon AVR-320, which further improved the listening experience! Thanks again.

The H/K allows for 7.1 with an additional amp, which has me thinking about picking up another pair of Performance bookshelves for future expansion. I keep seeing various models sitting on the clearance tables at h.h.gregg, and it pains me that no one is taking them home. I might have to do my part to help out. ;)

GabrielC

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the link terence, although right now I'm not sure if I will go with another pair of S50s, and I thought the price would be a little better than that at this time considering they're discontinued, oh well.

Now that I think about it, I haven't listened to a single set of speakers before buying them. I ordered my first group (2 pairs of 208V's, S112PS, and C225PS) from accessories4less, and then I bought my S50's from...somewhere, I forgot the retailer. All done online. I even bought my SVS online. Maybe I should try something local next time =)

Yousaf

Second Unit
I use GR-Research in my main system, but my AR-15 bookshelves and PR1212 sub are pulling sound duty on my other TV :)

terence

Supporting Actor
Yousaf,

How do you like your PR1212 sub? A friend of mine was thinking about ordering it. I have owned the (2)S112PS it's and old sub that has been around for a while, i told him the PR1212 should be a big improvement.

ChadLB

Screenwriter
Terence,
I wondered that myself if the PR1212 sub would be a big improvement over the ARS112PS I had. Then I thought to myself I don't need to keep upgrading my subs so I saved up and bought my SVS.
But I still wonder how much better the PR1212 would have been compared to the ARS112PS I had.
By the way I just added a Parasound Amp to my whole setup...
can't wait to test it out more this weekend..:b

terence

Supporting Actor
I wondered that myself if the PR1212 sub would be a big improvement over the ARS112PS I had. Then I thought to myself I don't need to keep upgrading my subs so I saved up and bought my SVS.
I did the same thing, i thought if i'm going to upgrade might as well aim higher.:)

Wet Dreams

Auditioning
Real Name
Shaun
I'm running a pair of AR 3 Hi-Res. I have a blown tweeter and only one place is showing a OEM replacement. I blew one of the subs few years ago, was still under warnty. They sent me 2 new subs said they had to be replaced in pairs. The magnets were 1/2 the size and all parts of the replacement appeared to be of less quailty! Factory sub weight was around 17lbs and the replacement were 9lbs. I threw a fit demanding getting a sub that was same as I took out.
Now I contacted them about the tweeter, the said the same thing. Needs to be replaced in pairs.They might be as good or maybe better.But I just want the OME to match the other side. Replacement tweeters were $36 each. In my opinion a (1" Plasma-Transfered,Diamond Coated Titanium Tweeter) will not be that cheap!!! Found a OEM replacement for $72.
My question is does anyone know another place for replacment parts?
Also few years back-Audiovox bought out AR and I think their service and replacement parts has went to shit!! (abtechservices.com/arspeakers.html)
Is the only place where I found my OEM tweeter and some other parts.Please let me know if you know in any other placements for replacements.

MaxL

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Max Levine
notice the last post on the thread is over 4 years old.

yes, AR had its day and many of the old speakers are still great today, but AR is now not much more than a marketing label used to squeeze a few more bucks out of your pocket than buying a theoretically lesser brand.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
I have a pair of ancient AR-4's, bought in 1969, still in use. Well kept, almost no cabinet scratches, although the grill cloth has discolored due to age.

AR back then was one of the few companies that gave "full" warranties. They even promised to send you new packaging and cover shipping both ways if warranty service was needed.

Video hints: http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Greg Bright

Second Unit
Real Name
Gregory Bright
My first speakers were AR-4s, back in 1967. I have a pair of original AR-7s now being used as surround speakers in my daughter's HT system. Had to refoam them first. A pleasant chore considering the bountiful dividends.

thrca

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim
Im wagering a bet that the place you found is AB Tech Systems.. This is one of the only places to get them, and $72 is not a bad price.

On a side note, even though its an OLD thread, wanted to get my stuff on here, since I am an AR fanatic.. Too bad for them.. ::sniff::

--Acoustic Researc Hi-Res series--
AR1 Mains
AR2C Center
AR15 Mid Surround
AR17 Rear Surround

Forever searching for an ARS500 sub.

thrca

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim
w00t! Not that I like bragging, but I love these speakers and have managed to acquire an entire second set in mint condition for $300 bucks. Apparently the guy had no idea what he had.

So with that said, I now own...
--Acoustic Research Hi-Res Series--
AR1 Mains
AR11 Mains (B channel)
AR2C Center
AR4C Center
AR15 Mid Surrounds
AR17 Rear Surrounds
AR17 Extra (can I do 9.1 or dual mid-surrounds?)

Still searching for an ARS300 or ARS500.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
I have an AR center speaker. But, my mains are a pair of Allisons, built by AR's ex-president and chief acoustic engineer, who left them in 1972. I'm sure my Allisons and AR speakers share similarities........... :)

pixelated

Auditioning
Real Name
Phil Schneider
Do AR SRT 330s and SRT 380s count
I 'm using the 380s for mains and the 330s for rears.

"SRT" = Studio Recording Monitor.
The 380s are four way 15", 2 5s, and a liquid cooled strontium tweeter
The 330s are three way 12", 5', and same tweeter
Both units are ported enclosures.

Still sound great, capable of huge SPL.

aragorn

Auditioning
Real Name
Randy
I always loved my AR speakers. I still have 3 sets (all bought new): a couple pairs of tsw 110's and my AR 90's. All refoamed and sounding great. It helps when your mom worked for Teledyne. But the AR 90's just aren't getting used anymore plus they are too big for my home now. I guess I'll put them up for sale at the recycler.com unless someone can suggest a better place in the Los Angeles area? They are in sensational shape and I'm sure I could even dig up the original paperwork.

Tina_H_V

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tina
I have a pair of AR's from the mid-1990s I use for the stereo speakers in my audio-only system. They have inactive for a year-and-a-half now, but I have an idea as to how to put them back into play later this year when I upgrade my audio setup to feature a new receiver, phonograph turntable, CD record and stereo audio cassette tape deck.

And I believe this idea of mine is going to work!!!!! :)

ilikeknives

Auditioning
Real Name
Glenn Larsen
I have a pair of TSW 610- 60+ Lb'ers made it back from West Germany (when it still was west, pre and post Berlin wall era) and got a pair of 100's for free just for purchase. They both have been refoamed and sound awesome, Ti tweeters with arrays and sound blankets, real fine speakers, I am glad I got them. Still in great shape, save the screen structure frames which are just a bit broken, but still unnoticable. Black walnut (I believe) top and bottoms, real nice wood. Purchased in 1987, still going strong. Guess I'll sell 'em one day, who knows? Thanks for the thread, I thought I was the only one who had them. Bought them after listening to Boston's "Third Stage) Album (Yes, wax) on them at the local PX's sound room. Gave me shivvers. Pushed them with a Marantz 2270 Gyro-Tune (Blue Light) Receiver AWESOME.:emoji_thumbsup:

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Nice to see this thread is still kicking after all of these years
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
And I'm still an AR Nut... My AR9's are currently BiAmped off my Onkyo SR806 but through the years they have been fed all sorts of different diet. At one point I had the high's amped off my 20 watt single ended tube amps and solid state driving the woofers.

Sadly my scratch built sub (using the ARS500 amp) quit working. I think it took a surge and I am still trying to ascertain what is wrong with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks