What's new

How many of you will be upgrading 'Memento'? (1 Viewer)

Steve_Knutzen

Screenwriter
I didn't get the original disc because I was holding out for this LE. Personaly I won't ever watch the chronological version (if it's available) as I think that would destroy any suspence created by the flashback-flashforward storytelling of the movie. I think it makes perfect sense as it is. But that's just me.

Nathan*W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Nathan
I also didn't buy the original because of the "SE" rumor mill...(Usually in a case like this I would've bought both, not having known about the SE. Just lucked out this time, I guess) Maybe I should play the Lottery.:)

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I sent my earlier copy off to eBay as soon as I had
reviewed it several times, knowing this SE was in the works.
There have been some great "puzzle" films coming out on
DVD recently: the rerelease of The Usual Suspects,
Mulholland Drive,
and now Memento.
Cannot wait!
:)
Mark

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
I saw this film in the theaters and loved it. However, I didn't purchase the original release because of the rumored SE. Glad I waited, I will pick the SE up. To be honest, because of this trend of releasing SEs at a later date my buying habbits have changed drastically. I am not as quick to buy anymore. At least not until I am sure that any SE that might come out is at least a year or more away.
Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. :)
Cheers,
Keith

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I'm quite content with the current disc. It's the movie I'm interested in. I've zero interest in a Christopher Nolan commentary, deleted scenes or whatever .....

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
The only tempting thing for me is the deleted scnes, I could care less about a commentary.

I'll wait and see whats said about the disc before I make up my mind.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
I waited on the 2nd release after a rumor thread was started and I'm glad I did.
2 discs, DTS, extras.
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm I'll be buying it :D

James M

Stunt Coordinator
Hi, I asked this earlier but I'll ask again, Im thinking of upgrading and Im wondering is there any reason to keep my old dvd? will there be any extras just on the first version? or any reason to keep it at all? lmk. thanks

James

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
Hi, I asked this earlier but I'll ask again, Im thinking of upgrading and Im wondering is there any reason to keep my old dvd? will there be any extras just on the first version? or any reason to keep it at all? lmk. thanks
I think the only extra that won't be on the new version is an IFC interview with Christopher Nolan. Other than that, the reissue should replicate the remaining extras.

As to whether or not it's worth the upgrade, that's entirely up to you. The press release seems to indicate that some type of "puzzle-solving" will be required to access the extras (possibly the movie too), which is the main thing that turned me off on a repurchase. Additionally, the extras they announced seem rather paltry in terms of being superior to the old edition.

What it really comes down to is this: do you want DTS? Do you want the director's commentary? Do want more extras? Do you want your movie and bonus material on seperate discs?

If you answer yes to any of these, chances are you might want to upgrade.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Well, those of you that buy will have to rave all over it. Otherwise, I'll stick with what I've got.

I only "upgrade" a DVD if the next iteration has some real improvement to the film (i.e. an improved transfer, better or more sound options, etc.). I rarely watch more than a few of the extras as it is, so more extras isn't a selling point to me...especially if I'll have to solve a puzzle to see them.

However, as much as I liked this film I somehow haven't bought it already. That being the case, I see no reason not to get the special edition. Besides, even though I won't watch it, the ability to see the movie "forward" is kinda cool.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I will not be upgrading my current version. The announcement regarding the special edition requiring puzzle-solving to access some disc features removed any doubt I had. The film is the most important item to me, and I do not care for DVD's that turn special features into a bizarre treasure hunt.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
I will buy this one especially for the commentary track and the original short story it was based on.

Very powerful story with great actors portraying their role with conviction

Oscar

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I will be upgrading my Memento. I felt it deserved more when it was first released, but was compelled to buy it as I love the film so much.

I'm thrilled that a better edition is forthcoming. Perhaps such an edition would have helped the Academy Award prospects if released originally.

I still wish they'd option the rights to the Nolans' interview on Fresh Air (NPR) as it was that compelling interview that encouraged me to see the film in theaters. I'll be very happy to have a commentary though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks