What's new

How many of you invested in repairing RPTVS? (1 Viewer)

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
It's been a while since I started a post, anyway a week ago I decided to invest some money into repairing my old Sony KP51WS520 RPTV. It cost me $200.00 which was only10% of what I would have spent to replace the unit with the same picture quality. The power board went bad as the indicator light flashed 9 times without a click or the t.v. coming on.
I shopped around and I tell you the only picture I was really impressed with came from the plasma t.v.s which really had pretty good blacks that make the colors pop. My Sony is doing that very same thing. I'm glad I spent the money to have it fixed, and I can deal with the occasional visitor asking me why do I still have that monster t.v.
How many of you guys and gals did the same? Please humor me and let me know with your comments.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Hi Jerome.
you were very lucky to only spend $200. Most techs will charge at least just to come to you.
I new 50 inch plasma that would out perform your old crt would cost about $800-1000 easily.
Keep your fingers crossed and hope you get some good additional mileage!!
Gregg

dmiller68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Miller
I have only done it when covered under warranty. The last repair on the Mits I had would have cost me $1200 lucky for me free. Then I sold it shortly afterward.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
You were very lucky to get something like that fixed under warranty, then unload it. What did you replace it with?

dmiller68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Miller
Panasonic TC-P65VT25

Well it is a long story my original Mits died three times with a board failure. On the third time they gave my the full purchase price toward a new TV. Which I bought a new Mits however 2 years later it did the same thing so I unloaded it as quickly as I could. I was planning on doing a major upgrade of my theater so it was like all the stars aligned to allow me to pull the trigger.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I also fixed my RPTV. I have an 8-9 year old 47" Panosonic that lost it's convergence circuit about a year ago. I read that I could fix it for about $10, but I fry devices putting in batteries ... so I paid a little less than $300. Too much I know, but I hate to toss stuff that can be fixed and otherwise works fine. Plus, like the OP, I like the picture of the old analogs. Only problem I have is that it doesn't have HDMI. That's starting to get old now; but I humor myself by saying that when the time does come for the new TV, I get to spend more since I was thrify on the repair!

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Al,
I can kind of relate to your situation with your RPTV. I say kind of because my Sony has one HDMI input, but the audio receiver has 4 inputs. The one input really is a big help and allows me to be utilize HDMI components. I have the Blu-ray player hooked up via HDMI and when my order of 4 HDMI cables come in from Amazon, I will hook up the HD-DVD player and the HD-DVR cable box to the receiver via HDMI into the t.v. The fact that the t.v. had one HDMI input is the reason why I wanted to invest in getting the t.v. fixed, I won't be able to do 3D, but that really is something that does not peak my interest. I have to admit, like Gregg said, down the road I will be replacing the model with a plasma set, but for now, I am cool.:cool:

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
I bought my Mit 65711 in 2002 and it was ISFed 2x by two of the best in the business. Also had the lens cleaned by one of the best in the business. Last year it wouldn't stay on. Had someone out twice and couldn't be sure what it was. Was it worth it to keep dropping money into it, no, and I bought a new Mit DLP 65738 for $850 on sale still in the box. The down side it's not made anymore, only 73 inchers. Calibrated it from the internet and it shines.
Does its QC rival that of the 65711, maybe, but at least the 65738 works. Oh, and i got around the problem of no HDMI inlets on the 65711 by using an HDFury...best thing ever made!
Then again, no screen TVs compares to my Epson 9500 UB projector in my HT.

Users who are viewing this thread