What's new

How many of you Fellow HTF'ers out there are a Fully Widescreen House? (1 Viewer)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I Am since I replaced my 32" 4:3 set with a 30" 16:9 Samsung last month.Now Widescreen Upstairs and Down ! No More non anamorphic transfers for this Boy,not that I bought them before my conversion mind you. I won't tolerate it now (Listening MGM?) However I still welcome 4:3 if it's OAR. So How Many of you have flushed away the last vestiges of than archaic dying format know as the Square Screen?

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
I own over 200 dvds , and only 1 of them is fullscreen, cant buy me love, a childhood favorite, not available in oar.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Not me, I still watch tons of vintage 4:3 TV, scads of pre-1960 films, classic cartoons, dozens of 4:3 video games, and a bevy of letterboxed laserdiscs. The only 16:9 sets I find to do this material justice (without a pricy external scaler) are the Pioneers, and at the time I bought my set they were all out of my budget (man have they come down).

Even after I replace my current 4:3 HDTV with a shorter 16:9 set in 2 to 4 years, I'll probably keep a 4:3 set or two around the house.

Should this thread be in the Display Devices area? ;)

I put my 31" upstairs when I got my Phillips 60" Widescreen Tv this past Christmas. For a very long time I was interested in the Toshiba 65" Widescreen but the price for the 60" was great and also I fell in love with it. Also the guys just barely got that in the house.

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
The only MAR DVDs I've got off the top of my head are the region-free Drunken Master II(it's 1.85:1 instead of 2.35:1), Police Academy, and Christmas Vacation(soon to be replaced by a WS version later this year). And at least those last two are open matte.

I don't count discs like Elite's full frame Evil Dead or the Kubrick Collection. I guess you could count Buffy Seasons 4 and 5 in WS since that's technically not the OAR, but let's not go there again.

Paul.Mc

Agent
I buy only widescreen DVD's when I can. I've held off on a few titles that are MAR'd, but I'm far from being able to afford a 16:9 TV right now.

Clint B

Second Unit
While I've got a 4:3 TV, I am OAR all the way (which includes some movies where 1.33:1 is the OAR).

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Should this thread be in the Display Devices area? ;)
OR perhaps in Polls...

I doubt I will ever be a "every TV is widescreen" house until and unless 16x9 TVs are made available in the US in smaller sizes at cheap enough prices. I use various smaller (9"-13") sets in different rooms to hook up various videogame systems (I own 30 of them, dating back to Atari/Intellivision/Coleco) all over the house.

I rarely, if ever, watch TV shows on them (and the smallest TV in the house with a DVD player hooked up to it is 20"...unless you count the 15" PC monitor).

But then I can't claim to be a "Fully WS House" with 5-6 extra 4x3 sets running around, can I? :)

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
If my family replaced every tv in our house with a widescreen we would go bankrupt :)

capt

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
1 WS plasma, 1 WS tube, 1 WS iMac, 1 WS TiBook

2 WS cars, lol :D

Bob Maged

Stunt Coordinator
1) Home theater -- 43" 4:3 HDTV (2 years old)
2) Game room -- 20" 4:3 (15 yrs old)
3) Kitchen -- 13" 4:3 (2 yrs old)
4) Living room -- 26" 4:3 (17 yrs old)
5) Office/sewing room -- 19" 4:3 (20 yrs old)
6) Master bedroom -- 32" 4:3 HDTV (4 months old)
7) Four computers -- 11" 4:3 (laptop), two 15" 4:3 flat
panels, one 19" 4:3 CRT

Over 1100 DVDs, 99.9% OAR.

I do not expect to have an "all widescreen" household any time soon. :)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
We have six TV's in the house, and only one is 16x9. However, out of the 640 titles in my collection, I only have two non-OAR discs -- Arthur and The Jerk. Thankfully Warner Brothers is finally releasing the "Vacation" films in OAR, so I was able to sell Vacation and Christmas Vacation.

Rich H

Second Unit
Well, we have only one tv - a widescreen plasma - so I guess we're a fully widescreen house :)

Rich H

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I wouldn't want to be a fully-widescreen house, as there is too much excellent 4:3 material out there (including EVERY film made before the early 50s). In fact, I just upgraded my bedroom set to a 27" Sony Wega. Now I have a great set for watching 4:3 material, and a great set (57" Sony) in the main room for watching widescreen material.

I'd say I'm a fully-OAR house!!

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
WS 42" plasma in living room
WS 42" plasma in bedroom
variable 100" projector in home theater room
4:3 12" set in kitchen that rises hydraulically from the kitchen counter (no WS sets that small)
WS 42" RPTV in guest cottage
WS 36" plasma in guest cottage bedroom
WS LCD in back seat of Lexus SUV

Oh, wait. That was a dream I had.

Sorry.

Jan

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Jan, that was funny as hell. I was thinking damn, I can't wait to click on his website.

Well as it stands I have:
13" 4x3 in kitchen
25" 4x3 in daughters bedroom
25" 4x3 in master bedroom (near bed)
36" 4x3 in master bedroom (other side w/the couch and old HT)
65" 16x9 in theater.

I don't know what the hell I'm going to do with the 4x3's when by 2007, hate to just throw them away, can't give'em away for I don't want anyone to have a 4x3 set by then.
:D

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Two TVs and both are 16:9 HD, although I don’t have an HD STB for my bedroom TV. Just sort of waiting to get an integrated HD PVR/STB.

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
The only 16:9 sets I find to do this material justice (without a pricy external scaler) are the Pioneers, and at the time I bought my set they were all out of my budget (man have they come down).
I just went through the same thought process when buying a new TV. What was I going to watch?

300 LaserDiscs, plenty of it 4:3 material (lots of old films, some TV shows and concerts)

Hockey and baseball on non Hi-Def satellite TV (only two channels are available to me in Hi-Def for way too much money, and they're not showing hockey or baseball)

Considering how crappy some of this looked on nice, expensive widescreen sets, we went with a comparitively inexpensive 52" 4:3 TV.

However, the LD collection is almost exclusively OAR, with few exeptions, and then only because of mitigating factors (for instance, I own a full frame Godfather trilogy boxed LD set for the original mono audio in PCM, and I own a full frame 32 Short Films About Glenn Gould and The Pirates of Penzance LDs because I don't believe that they have been released any other way). But they are few and far between.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks