What's new

How many Bette Davis boxes? (1 Viewer)

Junior_V

Stunt Coordinator
I relly enjoyed vol 1 & 2 and im looking forward to next year with a 3rd, but has Warner said how many boxes they are gonna give us?

I was looking at her filmography and saw that there is at least 30 of her movies left that deserves a DVD release.

2 of them are

"Beyond The forest" (most requested by fans)
"Payment On Demand"

I've heard rumous that these movies has right issues, so I guess we wont get them

Corey

Screenwriter

they didn't say how many they would give us but volume 3 is supposed to include watch on the rhine, all this and heaven too, in this ourlife, dangerous, and the corn is green

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough

I guess I'll just have to keep enjoying THE GREAT LIE on laserdisc. However, I can understand a case being made for every one of the classics named for Box 3.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Just got through watching "The Man Who Came to Dinner" and it looks very nice. Next up, "Marked Woman".

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Man, I'm so behind...

I just checked the release date and realized it came out this past week. I'm not sure if it was delayed in Canada (we're usually about a week or two behind), but I still haven't gotten around to picking up many of the Fox Cinema Classics as well as both Ford-Wayne collections.

This is going to be a really expensive week of film buying!!!

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
They could release them all tomorrow if you want the "run-through-a-meat-grinder" transfers you see on TCM. (Except of course if a title looks good on TCM, it's because Warner Home Video has put up the bucks for a restoration and new transfer). The Pre-49 WB titles all need to be restored from original nitrate, and carefully cleaned up, to be up to DVD standards. That's clear from what WHV has releaseed, and what these films looked like on TCM prior.

This kind of work is not cheap, so we may only get 4-6 new releases a year, but as with all the WB great, Bogart, Cagney, Robinson, Flynn, etc., I'm certain they'll keep up the great work.

We just all have to be PATIENT...and more importantly GRATEFUL that they're doing them, and doing them right!

JohnPM

Second Unit
Couldn't agree more, Mr. Rollins. It obviously takes work to get these things DVD-ready. After all these years of neglect, it's like making the movie all over again. I'm amazed they've gotten out as many as they have. I only hope consumers are making it worth their while.

http://greenbriarpictureshows.blogspot.com/

Miguel M Santos

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Miguel M Santos
I think they can do 3 or 4 more boxes with 5 dvds each without having to use lesser known titles.

By the way, I played JEZEBEL in two players and had the image freezing over the opening credits (as Bette Davis/ Fonda and George Brent's names appear on screen) - although it was fine in the other. Did anyone else suffer similar problems?

Junior_V

Stunt Coordinator
About your Jezebel DVD, it is defect. I have the same problem on my "Mr Skeffington" DVD that it is freezing for 1 second

It's gonna be her 100 birthday in 2 years, so I hope they will give us something like the Garbo one...maby "Beyond The Forest" in it(I hope!!!!!!!)

Derek Estes

Stunt Coordinator
I just returned my set, because of a defect in my Jezebel disc. It kept freezing at the 20 min mark. I hope this didn't effect all of the discs. I guess I'll see when the replacement arrives.

Corey

Screenwriter
after vol 3, they could do volume 4 inluding:
-the great lie
-juarez
-deseption
-a stolen life
-bordertown

Junior_V

Stunt Coordinator
I would not like "Juarez" in a Bette box becuse she has a supporting role but it should be on DVD but not in a Bette box.

"Bordertown", "Fog over Frisco" in a Gangster boxes

"Three on a Match" "The Cabin in the Cotton" "Jimmy the Gent" in Pre-Code boxes

"Ex-Lady" packed with the one with Barabra Stanwyck

"Fashions of 1934" in a musical box or a Powell box

"Kid Galahad" in a Robinson box

As for vol 3 to include

Dangerous
All This, and Heaven Too
In This Our Life
Watch on the Rhine
The Corn Is Green

I don't think Warner has actullay said that this is how vol 3 will be, they only said that they are in the work with other Davis titles
but if that is how vol 3 will be ,I hope vol 4 will have

The Old Maid
Beyond The forest
A Stolen Life
Winter Meeting
It's Love im after

vol 5

The Great Lie
June Bride
The Catered Affair
That Certain Woman
Payment on Demand

vol 6

Deception
The Bride Came C.O.D. (maby in a Cagney box)
The Sisters(maby a Flynn box)
Special Agent
Front Page Woman
The Girl from 10th Avenue

BarryM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Barry Margolis
I'm surprised that HTF hasn't reviewed the 2nd Bette Davis boxset. It's really a nifty collection.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Our Warner Reviewer is covered up with releases to review such as the John Wayne, John Ford and Clark Gable boxsets along with many individual titles. He did review Marked Woman and mentioned this second volume in his review, but unfortunately there isn't enough time to review them all.

Crawdaddy

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan

I think Juarez and Bordertown would be better served in a Paul Muni boxset, which I'd like to see WB do before they get too wrapped up in multiple Flynn, Bogart, Davis, and Crawford sets. Along with Mr. Muni, it would be nice if WB also highlighted his off-screen rival Edward G. Robinson and John Garfield, who was inspired and mentored by the two older actors. They are three of WB's great urban ethnic stars and three of the most important and renowned Jewish actors in film history...

Corey

Screenwriter
WB said they would do john garfield and edward g. robinson sets but they want to get the "big" stars out the way.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I got nervous after reading about the JEZEBEL defects, so I checked my disc. I watched the first 25 minutes or so, and it played fine. But I have to add that I was disappointed with the quality on that one. I thought THE MAN WHO CAME TO DINNER and MARKED WOMAN looked fantastic... what happened to JEZEBEL (or is it just me?) The image has a faint 'flicker' to it.

JohnPM

Second Unit
I'd like to know who actually owns "Payment On Demand" at this point. Anyone remember years ago when it played on the old CBS Late Movie (around 1974, I think?). It was originally released by RKO, and although copyright records indicate ownership by Warners, I suspect there are underlying complications that are keeping it out of circulation. Too bad.

http://greenbriarpictureshows.blogspot.com/

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Regarding Payment On Demand- it was actually filmed before All About Eve, but released after that film's huge success. RKO's then-owner Howard Hughes offered the lead to his 'old flame' Bette to help restart her career after she left Warners in 1949. It turns out it was a good thing Bette took up the offer, for this was the first time she worked with Edith Head, whose costuming skills so impressed Ms. Davis she later insisted that Edith design her wardrobe for All About Eve , including the legendary 'fasten your seatbelts' gown.

As to future boxes- as long as All This And Heaven, Too and Beyond The Forest are released, I'll be happy!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks