What's new

How many bars do you have (cell phone)? (1 Viewer)

Phil Kim

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, I know RF signal level strength "bars" are highly subjective to phone and other factors, but I for one would welcome such info when switching carriers.

Phone: Sony Ericsson T616
Provider: AT&T Wireless (GSM)
Home (San Bruno, CA): 3 to 5 bars out of 5 bars indoor/4 to 5 bars outdoor (850 MHz GSM)
Work (San Mateo, CA): 4 to 5 bars indoor & outdoor (850 MHz GSM)

Seth--L

Screenwriter
In my experience, bars mean nothing. I've been able to make calls with perfect reception while having no bars, and been unable to place and receive calls when having full bars (using Cingular, both TDMA and GSM).

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
My wife and I use AT&T wireless. Just as Seth stated signal strength doesn't always mean anything. I've also tried AT&T's GSM service which has virtually zero coverage in my area but when it did work, sound quality was superior to TDMA. That will likely change as subscribers change over to GSM the bit rate will probably be dropped down so that they can over subscribe.

What does piss me off is that I can have what appears to be a useable signal (3 or 4 bars) and it will drop to nothing when actually hitting send.

I really miss analog cellular.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks