What's new

How long will it be before Buffy(tv series) goes Blu? (1 Viewer)

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member

I believe that S5 was actually edited in HD so releasing that would be as easy as firefly. And S1 was shot on 35mm unlike S1 and S2 of Buffy which were 16mm.

The wee puppet man in HD...?

[url=https://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/e/e8/htf_imgcache_34701.jpeg] [/url]

htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter

Actually it's a logical conclusion. They needed a show that appeals to youth and Buffy's clearly at the top of the list.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Most Buffy fans I know are in their 30's and 40's though.
When they held the Buffy musical singalongs the audience was not made up of teens either.

[url=https://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/8/84/htf_imgcache_34702.jpeg] [/url]
Check out the "spike" guy!

My friends who have teenaged kids, when I mention to them Buffy they just kind of have a blank stare because most have never watched it.

Also EW has consistently given Buffy an "A" over the years and repeatedly said that in their opinion it wasn't just a teen type show. They went out of their way in review after review, (different critics too) to say that it was not just great "teen, horror, supernatural" Tv but great TV period.
And I also don't know any teenagers who even read EW.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
We get it. Buffy is good. This isn't a Buffy praise/appreciation thread.

Seriously, it's a bit much.

I first saw Buffy when I was 20 years old in 2001. That's all I have to say about that regarding the age issue.

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
Dave, I don't know what to tell you. I never said or implied in any way that you have to be a kid to enjoy Buffy, I don't know why you'd think that if you ARE a kid obviously you'd hate it. I'm sure it was the teens who all hated Dawson's Creek and Veronica Mars as well.

And what's up with your love of Entertainment Weekly? I mean it's fraking Entertainment Weekly...

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member

wife has a subscription. They've printed 2 of their letters over the years. They are always pro Simpsons and Buffy, 2 of her faves.

And I like Stephen King's column.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I still don't understand why you think it's unlikely. Any Fox titles that sell amazingly well(like Buffy) will most likely get released on Blu-Ray sooner or later.

Look at Firefly. It sold great numbers on dvd, and Fox practically fired it out of a cannon to get in hands of consumers on Blu-Ray.
Buffy may take a little more effort than Firefly, but I'm almost certain we'll see it released in the next year or two.

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter

Firefly was produced in HD. All they have to do is throw it on the disc and sell it. It won't take "a little" more effort to produce an HD Buffy set, it would take a monstrous effort. That it can even be done at all is only a theory

( Get it? ... "Monstrous" effort! Ha HAA!)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Talk about a good actress wasting her talents. Since Buffy Gellar, has resorted to Less than average horror movies, a Scooby Doo sequel, and I'm afraid that;s the highlights of her post Buffy career.
She should contact Joss, and try to get a Buffy feature film going.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
So, how bout' those Mets huh? ;)

Man, from the assault of emails from this thread in my inbox I would have thought an announcment had been made lol.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member

fully agreed.

She tried so hard to run away from Buffy when she should have just rode the wave.

She CAN do extraordinary work but she needs the right writer and director.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member

Yep, same with Trek TNG, Voyager and DS9 and X-Files...
Almost all 90's shows. Shows in the 50's 60's 70's and 80's are fine.
We could get the original BSG way before the above shows in HD.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
SMG has been in one good movie since Buffy ended -- Southland Tales. So that's something. I wish they'd release the original longer version of Southland Tales too. Really good film, despite its passionate critics.

"Teen horniness is not a crime!"

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I just watched Prophecy Girl.

Gad Zukes!!!

So ok Fox, I don't need high definition. But for the love of all that's holy just fix the picture quality. Remaster it somehow, someway. One of the worst looking episodes I have seen on any dvd series. Amazing episode......horrible picture quality. It just doesn't add up.

Looks like I'm going back to my old 27" CRT to finish out the series.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member

The following episode (Season 2's 'When She Was Bad') looked worse if I can recall. That was on a CRT TV. Certain episodes of seasons 1 and 2 look bad even on a CRT.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
http://www.amazon.com/Vampire-Slayer-Blu-ray-Michelle-Gellar/dp/B0018KBPCS

I know it's just a place holder, but the comments echo my feelings.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Here's the reality, it's all about the money. I have told many friends that BtVS stands out as a show that has aged incredibly well in comparison to most of the shows around it in the era. My wife & I loved "Homicide: Life on the Streets" but it's hard to go back and watch it now, the look and format isn't as good.
Buffy as a show has aged incredibly well. It's one of the very few shows that I can watch almost any episode of an feel right at home, quickly. It's no surprise then, that it's one of the shows that has a very high number of box sets sold.

In 2004, Fox announced an astonishing 800,000 season sets sold (that's 6 years ago.. a much different period). In 2009, the number was nearing 5 million units sold. Let's do a tentative figure and say people only paid $39 a set. Fine. That's still $200M in BANK. Angel managed to have an estimated gross on DVD of over $124M, at last figure, which caused Fox to catch some grief for selling it to TNT for $250K an ep ($50M for the run)

I think it would be tough going to make Buffy Season 1/2 look "Great" on BD. Far more then making TNG look great. But Season 3 should be doable, and Seasons 4-7 should be relatively easy.

Angel is a whole other bit, as that show, seasons 2-5 were all widescreen, filmed ready for HD, and should look great on BD. I'm wondering what the hold up is on those.
But believe it, the studios will debate back and forth over buffy.. and the whole issue comes down to money. It's been very lucrative on DVD. Now, can they get those same people to double-dip to grab the bluray?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks