What's new

How Long Is Your Commute? (1 Viewer)

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Well, I'm about 60 Km from work, which is only relevant in the very abstract case. Realistically, it takes me about 45 minutes in the morning (leaving home at 6:20 or so), and anywhere from 50 minutes (on a good day) to two hours (on a bad day) to get home (tends to average about 90 minutes). Driving across Toronto is not fun. If I didn't have my Nomad Jukebox and a good supply of audiobooks, I'd probably go crazy on these long drives.

This can't be good for my car though. I just got it last December, and have already clocked 20000 Km on it. At this rate it'll be up around 120 000 by the time I finish paying for it in 4 years!

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
~ 25-30 mins. But I can veg out or play video games on the subway.. err.. trolley ride, so I prefer it to the 12 minute drive at my last job.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
62 miles one way. Average drive time is 1 hour in the morning and 1.25 hours home. The bonus, company Z71 Tahoe with a gas card so no expense out of my pocket.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
9.35 mile bike ride to and from work, takes me about 40 minutes (combination off road and on road cycling on a mountain bike with semislicks).

10.07 mile drive to work by car which would take anywhere from 20 minutes to 35 minutes due to traffic and/or traffic lights.

Jay

Mark Sherman

Supporting Actor
My old Job was a 9-5er which was 18 miles from my house and would take me about 45-60 min.(beep and creep) Now my new Job is a 11-8 AND 35 miles away It takes me 35-40 MIN (80 THE WHOLE WAY)and I use the same amount of gas GO FIG.

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
Current commute: 27 miles into downtown Baltimore. ~50 minutes to 1hr.

Old commute: 55 miles down country roads, took 1hr to 1hr 15min.

The old commute was a lot easier in some ways... see the corn growing, stop at fresh veggie stands, meet the farmer's daughter(s)... ;)

Craig

Second Unit
About 9 miles. In the morning, about 15 minutes. In the afternoon, 20-25 minutes.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Takes me about 35 minutes or so each way...though I'm on a commuter van so I only have to drive/walk/rollerblade the few miles to the pick up spot

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Yep, the grind wasn't for me either. I used to live about 8 miles away from work, but this is West Los Angeles. The 405 (shudder). Used to take me 1/2 an hour either by freeway or surface street to travel those 8 miles. If there was an accident or some other incident, bump it up to 40-45 minute.

I didn't think too badly of it though, many of my coworkers live in the Valley, and their commutes are anywhere from 45 to 90 minutes.

I ended up renting an apt. within walking distance of work, takes 15 minutes, 20 with a Coffee Bean stop. And I'm telling you it has added years to my life, speaking from a mental standpoint. Yes, as Todd mentioned above, the Me First mentality of drivers really does grate on your nerves. Even though I only save, technically, about 30 minutes of commute time (15 each way) I find that when I get home I feel way better than I used to. I have more energy to do things after work, and my overall mood is just quite a marked contrast. Sure I pay for it through increased rent, but hey, mental health has a price.

Phil_L

Second Unit

I am on 84 everyday too, maybe we pass each other. I drive 10 miles in about 15-20 mins depending on traffic at the tunnel in Hartford.

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
Carlo:

Amen to that. Near the top of my list is an easy commute. Even my short surface road drive to work kind of annoyed me. Sometimes it would take 20 minutes on the way home (it's ~7-8 minutes with no traffic) and it was aggravate me.

Not having to deal with the stress of being in traffic is much nicer. Sure, sometimes public transportation breaks down or is off schedule, but then I have a built in excuse for being late! :)

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
Speaking of-

do you fellows know anything of commuting down I-66 to Manassas from the west? Not doable. Boss-man is still dangling a transfer/promotion to that area, and I'd have to "go west" just to get into the realm of the sane home prices.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Years ago, I had a 2 minute commute. My office was mere blocks away. For three years I was spoiled.

Now, I pay for that. ;) I have a 45-minute drive in the morning, and another one in the afternoon, and that is on a GOOD traffic day. :P

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
previous commute: approx 20 miles / 60-90 minutes each way. it totally sucked cuz i was going with the flow of traffic. rush hour was killin' me.

current commute: approx 5 miles / 10 minutes. :emoji_thumbsup:

i'm much happier now. :D

Phil_L

Second Unit

66 East is all HOV in the morning rush hour. Not sure if that is just near the city or as far out as Manassas.

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
50 miles each way. Takes me anywhere from 45 mins to one hour and 15 mins depending on traffic.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
3 miles each way, 10 minutes on surface streets, and no way am I gonna ride a friggin' bike to work in the 102 degree heat. I work in an auto repair shop under hot hoods all day and am not about to give up my air-conditioned ride home.

Jeff Pryor

Supporting Actor
About 6 miles each way for me along fairly easy roads. I have to contend with a rail but it's okay most of the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks