What's new

How long have you been collecting DVDs? (1 Viewer)

StephenA

Screenwriter
I've been collecting for 20 months now. I started in December of 2000 when I got my first four due to getting a Playstation 2, which were Gladiator, A Clockwork orange, Seven, and the Mummy(1999). Now I have 182(and climbing), and find the hobby very addicting. Too bad I didn't have the money to collect laserdiscs. I never really got into collecting VHS. DVD has gotten me to appreciate movies, and what goes into them alot more.

Real Name
Michael Shisler
I bought my first player,(an RCA) in Sept. of 1997 and have been steadily building my collection, (currently 314 titles) ever since.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
I got my first DVD player around 8-98. In the 36 months that have passed since then I've added about 110 titles to my collection.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I think it's been three years. See my sig for a link to my ever-growing, yet still woefully-incomplete collection!

Michael*K

Screenwriter
Bought my first DVD (Apollo 13) in November 1998. I bought my first DVD player in January 1999. Before I bought it, I owned a half-dozen films. The venerable old Panasonic A-110 just recently crapped out. Looks like I'll be selling her for parts. :frowning:

Bernhard

Stunt Coordinator
I got into DVD while being on my U.S. trip in May 1998. I bought a Creative Encore DVD Kit for the computer (didn't get a 'real' DVD player until christmas '98) and my first three DVDs: Starship Troopers, Contact and Tomorrow never dies.
Boy, has it really been over FOUR years?!
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
I got my first DVD player (Creative Encore) in the fall of 98 when I built my new computer. I only bought a few DVDs the first year couple of years but when I bought my first "real" DVD player in 2000 I've been collecting 'em like a madwoman.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I got my first DVD player as a gift in September of 2000. The titles that came with the player were The Abyss: 2-disc SE, Vegas Vacation, Sting: Brand New Day (Best Buy special), and a setup disc from Unipix.

They didn't come in the mail in time, but I also got "Weird Al" The Videos and "Weird Al" Live.

Now, I got 95 titles! (I'll probably hit 100 around Sept. 24)

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I got my first player (in the form of a DVD-ROM drive) in Nov, 1998...and have been collecting since. Got my first standalone in Nov, 1999 and have owned 3 or 4 players in that time. I haven't counted for a while...but my collection is somewhere between 150 and 200...I've been selling off titles that I don't watch like mad ;)
But, recently I got into lasers, and now have 30 or 40 there...so quite a few movies for someone that's only 20.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
I didn't get a DVD player until the same time that I bought my Mitsubishi HDTV. Went straight to progressive scan in January 2000, and have been collecting DVD's ever since.

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
March 1997 :)
I had my first dvd player about a week before the official rollout of the format. A Panasonic A-300 that cost me $750. Prices sure have come down since then.
And to this day it's still my main dvd player :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks