What's new

How long does it take to refinance a house? (1 Viewer)

Don Black

Screenwriter
Does anyone know how long, on average, it takes to refinance a house for about $70k? The house would be worth about $450,000. Thanks!

Craig

Second Unit
I think it depends in part on which state you live in, different states require different procedures. In Georgia it takes about 30 days. Of course that's if you're actually refinancing the house, which is pretty much like taking out a regular home loan. If you're just doing a home equity loan I'm guessing that would be quicker.

Dennis*G

Supporting Actor
our refinance took about 25 days, but our home equity loan took 2 days.

For refinancing, they need to do apprisals, all the paper work, scheduling a closing day..

Jim Sentry

Stunt Coordinator
After the Loan Officer takes the app, then the Appraisal is ordered. That's the slowest part of the transaction. U/W is usually immediate.

With everyone working together 2 weeks should do it. But since your Lock-In is normally 30 days that's the window everyone works with.

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
20-30 days seems reasonable. Is there any reason you need it quicker?

Don Black

Screenwriter
No reason in particular really. I was just trying to get a reasonable benchmark. Thanks all!

Travis Hedger

Supporting Actor
My refi went fast, basically a couple of weeks to do, and got to skip a month on payments as the paperwork was transferred.

I had an FHA loan which is for first time buyers. I did the .gov FHA Streamline loan back when rates were at 5.5% I was paying 7.875%.

No closing costs, no out of pocket expenses, and best of all, I didn't have to get a new credit report run or even fill out any financial info.

Wells Fargo bought the loan and their site is very easy to work with on setting up online payments and schedules. And I am saving a lot of money at the lower rate.

Scott Tucker

Stunt Coordinator
You say your house is worth $450k. How much do you owe on the 1st mortgage? What state are you in? If you do a home equity line of credit or loan it can be very quick with no out of pocket expeses. Variable rates in the low 5's and fixed between 6 to 7%. If you refi instead of going with a home equity product there will be costs you will have to pay, but you will get a better rate.

Scott

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kisanwiki
Recent bookmarks