What's new

How is WB going to handle The Gobots? (1 Viewer)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Very confused here. In a news article on tvshowsondvd it shows WB MOD is going to release Challenge of the Gobots. It shows a pictured ad that states Saturday Morning favorites. Gobots is a syndicated cartoon that aired M-F.

It also ran 65 episodes. On dvd-r I think this would take 3, or 4 volumes to complete, yet in the ad it doesn't say volume 1/collection 1 etc.

Kind of worried. I hope the complete series is released If this is the first "best of" MOD title, then I'm done with WB.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
So, apparently Gobots started as a Saturday morning cartoon episodes 1-11, and the remianing 55 episodes were M-F. According to IMDB. I only remember watching it after school Monday through Friday. If this release is for the Saturday shows only, I have zero interest in picking it up.

With the announcement of Mr. T from Warner Bros, I was really hoping for more information on The Challenge of the Gobots. I'll continue to wait for info, but as it stands the outlook isn't as bright as I once hoped.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Same here. I admit, I collected both "Go-Bots" and "Transformers" as kids, but I often found a lot more "cool" gobots who tended to have items that more durable.. a lot of the transformers kind of fell apart/were kind of junky (SORRY!) so I'd look forward to this series as well.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I was 11 years old in 1984, and watching Gobots/Voltron every day after school was great. Especially now when nostalgia is a factor these cartoons really take me back and let me escape the problems of current life for a while. I would like to compile another retro air date list. Watching the episodes as they aired together M-F. I did this with Thundercats/G.I. Joe/Transformers for 1985, and watching them together was nothing short of magical.

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
I am impressed that Warner Archive had these episodes remastered. This is something that is not normally done in this line.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Greg Chenoweth

I am impressed that Warner Archive had these episodes remastered. This is something that is not normally done in this line.

Yeah, me too. It just isn't what I was hoping for. My guess is that they may not have the rights for the syndicated series, so this is probably all Gobots fans are going to get.

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Bryan^H

Yeah, me too. It just isn't what I was hoping for. My guess is that they may not have the rights for the syndicated series, so this is probably all Gobots fans are going to get.
I don't think so. I think this is the beginning of releasing all of the GoBots onto DVD. It makes sense to separate out the mini-series from the regular series instead of trying to fool everybody into thinking that the mini-series was a part of the regular lineup. If Warner Archive has remastered the show, then that means that they expect to see a good return on the DVD sales and that it has really good buying potential. This is all a good sign.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I'm kinda bummed about that, too. But the first edition of GI Joe on DVD were the first ten episodes (2 mini-series), IIRC. And they've been broken up in some variation thereof ever since. (They are also included in the Season 1 collections.)

Kevin Martinez

Second Unit
Great way to gouge every last penny out of consumer, WAC.

Now the chances of the show being finished are NIL, and the chances of WAC abandoning the Gobots just shot up sky-high. When was the last time a show that's not currently on the air in first-run was FINISHED on DVD?

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
It's all up in the air at this point. If WB do indeed plan to release the entire run based on sales of this first collection, they may want to let fans know that. I'm skipping it, as many others will. This is not what fans of the series envisioned for a release. If however the future of Gobots rests on this set alone, I will buy 10 copies. No questions asked.

Note to WB:

Like Shout Factory, and BCI It is sometimes beneficial to let the consumers know what your intentions are for a series release.

If you don't have the rights for the remaining episodes, let us know. Tweet it, post it on Facebook. Just get the word out so fans can act accordingly.

Are we privy to this information? Well when you pull a stunt like this, I feel we are.

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
I wrote Warner Archive about the issues that you raise, Bryan, on Facebook and I will post their reply as soon as it comes through.

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
I got an answer from Warner Archive.

Here is my question: "At the Home Theatre Forum, people are wondering if WB has the rights to the entire series and will release all episodes, or if WB only has the rights for the mini-series? Please let us know."

Here is their answer: "We own the entire series.‎....and it is because we know that the series has such a fervent fan base, that we remastered the amazing first-season mini-series episodes. This is the first time the GOBOTS have been mastered since the original production was completed in the mid-80s!"

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Greg.

They know of the fanbase, so it sounds like they are planning on releasing all the episodes. I'm hoping the complete series is released later this year.

Good news.

Mr. Papagiorgio

Stunt Coordinator
Warner Archive said on twitter that the show will not be released in more than 3 volumes including the mini-series. This most likely means that the other 60 episodes that make up the first (and only) season will be split out in two volumes of 30 episodes each. These are manufacture on demand and Warner Archive has released far less popular titles than GoBots, so I don't think we have anything to worry about as far as eventually seeing a complete release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks