What's new

How is this LD player... for the price? (1 Viewer)

greg_t

Screenwriter
Rob, I'm not familar with Kenwood players, but when I bought my first player, I was told to only get a pioneer. My first player was a elite 52, which did a great job but was still a little disappointing in picture. I know have a brand new cld 79 and it is far superior. For $29, I'm not sure how good of a player your getting. But $29 is not much of a gamble, so you wouldn't be out that much. I would suggest watching ebay and saving that money for a pioneer. Maybe someone else will be more familar with the actual player you're considering.

Jim A. Banville

Supporting Actor
Is $30 too much for a LD player that requires that you PHYSICALLY raise the disc onto the spindle (which requires you leave the cover off)? Yes :) Too bad you missed my recent auction for an old Pioneer CLD-S201 single-sided player I sold. It went for $15 and plays fine :)

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
LD players with spindles as opposed to trays have one advantage, nothing touches the disk playing surfaces.
Even top of the line Pioneers' trays have the disk resting on felt pads. (They should have designed it so the disk rests on its outer edge instead) Dust and grit can get embedded in the pads and leave minute scratches on the disk. And we would hope that the player never malfunctions so as to lower the disk onto the pad before it has fully stopped spinning, scratches for sure.
I would find it hard to go wrong getting an LD player that works for under USD 50. The most difficult part of this situation is actually getting it home in working condition or your money back if it isn't.
Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks