What's new

How is the transfer/picture quality of True Lies DVD? (1 Viewer)

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
I want to get this DVD but have heard the picture quality is bad. Is it bad? Ala Scarface or is it worth getting now or should I wait for a better version?

Mathew Shelby

Second Unit
I have the old version as well and I must say that it is an awful transfer. I heard something about True Lies 2 awhile back, so I imagine there would be another release coming up.

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor
I assume by "fake anamorphic" he means it was a non-anamorphic transfer "stretched" up to make it 16:9. So it's no real gain in resolution.

I have no idea about specific titles that are fake 16:9 - anyone have a list?

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
As bad as Maverick? Is that the one with Mel Gibson? Just wondering even though I don't have the DVD. Are there any other bad transfers you know of that I can compare it with?

Darren Pillans

Second Unit
If you can play multi-region and PAL, the Region 4 is anamorphic and quite nice.

The region 1 looks like the Laserdisc transfer.

Looked reasonable at the time, but now just plain sucks.

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor
I'm uncertain as to whether the UK R2 version is uncut or not. I know it was previously cut for cinema and VHS releases.

Either way, another vote for the R4. (PAL speedup be damned. ;) )

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
If you're worried about PAL speedup, then get the R3 version from Korea which is NTSC anamorphic.

Jeff

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
I appreciate all of the replies. However, I don't have a region free DVD player nor should I need to have one to own a decent R1 DVD version of True Lies.

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor
I don't know quite what to say, apart from "sorry". There was a Fox 5-Star edition in the pipeline, which would undoubtedly sport a new transfer. IIRC it was shelved due to the tragic events of 9/11. It may appear in late 2003, it probably won't.

There's many more reasons to get a multi-region DVD player than True Lies though. :)

Leon Liew

Stunt Coordinator
Still waiting for a new release of True Lies. Had been
holding on for quite some time now. Did not buy the
first DVD release though coz I have the Laserdisc to
tie me over till the new release.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
I have the old one (as well as Maverick) and I must say, they're not as terrible as it looks now from the statements in this thread. :)

They're in fact watchable. However, both could use a new and then anamorphic transfer, I too would welcome that, yes.

Cees

PS: I have a weak spot for this version of Maverick with Mel Gibson and Jodie Foster. I used to watch the TV-version with James Garner as Maverick, and it was a bit disappointing to learn that Garner played a different character in this movie. Then the end made it completely up to any fan of the series (even had you slap your head).
C.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks