How is the PQ on Uncle Buck and In The Name of the Father??

Discussion in 'DVD' started by ScottJH, Aug 2, 2003.

1. ScottJH

ScottJH Supporting Actor

Scott
    Has anyone seen these? Was wondering how the transfers are. I think both are 16x9 enhanced.

2. Andrew Radke

Andrew Radke Screenwriter

Andrew Radke
    I have "Uncle Buck" on DVD and can honestly say that I didn't find anything wrong with the picture. Definitely a good transfer. As for "In The Name Of The Father", I can't say I've seen it.

3. Magnus T

Magnus T Supporting Actor

He, bought Uncle Buck for 4 dollars new 2 weeks ago, this was however the PAL disc and I thought that one looked great (I would think the R1 version comes from the same master). No artifacts, not much grain and it looked relatively new, and yes, it is anamorphic. Well worth the 4 dollars! [​IMG]

4. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

In the Name of the Father is royally screwed up on DVD. I believe it had a DD 2.0 stereo track only. The movie was released with DTS 5.1 theatrically.

The non-PCM Laserdisc has a DTS 5.1 track as well.

Don't get this one!

Dan

5. Pete T C

Pete T C Second Unit

When I bought Uncle Buck when it first came out, the first thing I noticed was a lip syncing problem early on in the movie (and its not player/hardware related). Aside from that, the video is pretty standard, and the sound was standard. It was clear they really didn't go to any lengths to make it a good DVD.

6. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

7. Pete T C

Pete T C Second Unit

There was never any official DTS release of ITNOTF in Region 1. If you saw such a release, it was likely from another region or a bootleg. That being said, though enjoying the movie is key, it's also okay to not buy a movie because its not up to par quality wise. I'm sure many held off the P&S version of Chariots of Fire despite it being a great movie for a Widescreen version. And, whether widescreen is as important to someone as 5.1/DTS is really that person's preference.

8. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

ITNOTF was an early Universal release on DVD, so it's entirely possible my memory is playing tricks on me. But I still have the DD 2.0 version, so I can confirm that its quality is OK.

M.

9. Guy Martin

Guy Martin Second Unit

Michael-

I think you're thinking of The Boxer, the other Jim Sheridan/Daniel Day-Lewis film. It was released both as a feature-laden Collector's edition and as a bare-bones DTS release. Personally I went with the Collector's Edition since the supplements (2 commentaries, 20mins of deleted scenes and an hour-long docu) were too good to pass up.

- Guy

10. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

I'm sure it was In The Name of The Father. The laserdisc is DTS 5.1 (full bitrate), and the DVD is 2.0 Dolby Digital at 192 kilobits/sec. That low bitrate rate for Dolby Digital makes the sound thin and less than stellar. Way too much compression.

DTS does not have to be used just for special effects laden movies as it can be very good for music and the clarity of the dialog IMHO.

I'd wait for a better version.

Dan