What's new

How is the current release of "Rain Man" and is there a Special Ed. planned? (1 Viewer)

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I watched this for the first time yesterday as it was lent to me on VHS. I would like to buy the DVD; how is the current DVD transfer and is there a SE planned?

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
A Special Edition is defintely coming in 2002. Definitely. It was stated at studio that there would be an SE DVD coming this year.

However, we have announcements now through nearly the end of summer, and still no word. Hopefully, a 4th quarter release.

The current disc is 1.85:1 16:9 and 5.1, but the only extra is a trailer, and the Levinson commentary from the LD is MIA. The video quality isn't too great, but with a $19.99 SRP, the disc is still worth picking up if you can't wait, I feel.

I'm definitely anticipating the Special Edition, but I haven't heard anything new on it.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Actually, the DVD is a very cramped 1.78:1. I would assume this is either due to bad framing or the film was hard matted to 1.85:1 originally and the sides have been slightly cropped. There is a bit of pixelization and some print damage (dust, scratches, dirt, etc.) too.

A new 1080p HD transfer supervised by Barry Levinson would be a plus.

DTS too!

Dan

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Well, I guess I will just hold out for the SE. Too bad it's not coming sooner, but I don't want to have to buy this twice.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks