What's new

How is Eraserhead? (1 Viewer)

MichaelPR

Second Unit
I just ordered Eraserhead from Davidlynch.com. I've never really seen any Lynch before but hey I'm interesting in trying new things. Anything I should know before going into this movie? I've heard it is quite an experience. And how is the quality itself it was $40? Thanks!

Richard Stammer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Richard
Be prepared to experience a total brain you-know-what. The transfer is excellent, but the content may leave you with a severe case of disorientation. Have fun.

A Big Lynch Fan.

Don Solosan

Supporting Actor
If you're open to new and unusual things, then you have a great experience in front of you. If you're not, it will be painful (and expensive!).

The transfer is gorgeous, and has been meticulously restored. The packaging is beautiful, if oddly sized.

Please post back and let us know how it went!

Hans M.

Stunt Coordinator
I'm jealous! I want to get this too, but must save some big $$$. It is one of my favorite movies. It's the closest thing to a cinematic experience of having a nightmare I've ever seen (I think the later Lynch stuff is more cerebral—Eraserhead, on the other hand, is Lynch at his most free-flowing and steam of consciousness). It's black and white cinematography is a perfect compliment to the film's surreal aura. You have to appreciate surreal filmmaking to like this though. If you are a fan of David Cronenberg, Guy Maddin, Federicco Fellini, Luis Buenel, Ingmar Bergman and films with dreamlike narratives, than you will love this. If not... send it to me! :)

obscurelabel

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Larry
In addition to what the other posters have written, I will say that the biggest and longest laugh that I have ever gotten from watching a movie is in this film. I won't list it, but please report back and let us know if anything inspired a similar response from you!

I hated the movie (the wife is the Lynch fan) but was totally blown away by the picture quality of the restoration he did, it may as well have been filmed yesterday and hand delivered to your house. And having the box stare at you from the DVD rack always draws comments.

Mick Wright

Second Unit
$40 blind buy? Is this a joke post? :) Seriously, I hope you like it. I love Lynch, and I'm glad anytime someone is willing to give his work a shot.

MichaelPR

Second Unit
Hey i just wanted to treat myself hehe. I do have a varying taste and am open to anything. I'll let you guys now when i get it...it shipped today.

Tony Mirra

Stunt Coordinator
It's a great movie. And it's hard to not appreciate the amount of work that Lynch put into restoring and packaging the flick (which is part of the steep price tag... not to mention doing all of the distribution himself).

ScottHH

Stunt Coordinator
I hope you enjoy it. I saw it 15 years ago. I remember there being no dialogue whatsoever for the first half-hour, I found it to be painfully boring. I don’t remember it getting any better after that. And quite frankly the cafeteria scene in Animal House was more entertaining than the dinner scene, but perhaps that's just my sense of humor.
What’s the difference between avant-garde and pompous/self aggrandizing? I found the director’s website the latter myself…

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

It's all that and more. :D I can't wait till MichaelPR reports back! I haven't seen it since my college days (circa 1978 at Syracuse University). Saw it several times...each time wondering why? I remember they handed out little laminated pins which had the head shot of the main character and the words "I survived Eraserhead". 25 years later and certain images are still seared into my brain. And, 25 years later and I think I still have those pins thrown in a desk draw :b

I would LOVE to own the DVD, but $40 is a bit too rich for my blood (right now anyway ;) ). I've never seen it to rent. :thumbsdown: I am looking forward to the day I get to see it again.

Brian McHale

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian McHale
This wouldn't have been at the top of my list for a blind buy recommendation, but what the heck...

I saw this back in the 80's. I still consider it to be the weirdest movie I've ever seen. Part of me wants to own the DVD and part never wants to see the movie again. The $40 price tag makes the decision easy.

Mick Wright

Second Unit
:laugh: I had the same reaction. After my first viewing, I couldn't believe that such a nightmare of a movie had developed a following. But, I watched it again the next night...and a couple of days later to show it to some friends. And I'm still watching it today. :laugh:

Hans M.

Stunt Coordinator
You all also realize that the shipping for this DVD is $10!? That makes this a $50 blind buy.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
i'm glad i bought it; it was a blind buy for me too. interesting film, unlike almost anything ive seen. any lynch fan should appreciate it. and if you dont like it, you can always sell it on ebay for a small profit.

CJ

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
Ahhh! He has a paid site. Not the store, of course, but still. Paid sites have always annoyed me. I guess that's just my hang up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks