How important is it to use a quality DVD player?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by EarleD, May 25, 2003.

1. EarleD

EarleD Supporting Actor

I just got my HDTV and received a free Zenith DVB312 progessive player. I have it connected to myu TV via it component outputs and am outputting a progessive signal.

It seems to output a good picture, but I cant help wondering if a better player would give me a better player. The Zenith is just used for DVD playback.

Anyone have any thoughts on this subject?

Earle

2. David Giesbrecht

David Giesbrecht Second Unit

The qualty of the player can have an affect on picture quality, different players will use different deinterlacers, some work better than others.

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Despite that, one distinguishing characteristic of DVD players from the major manufacturers is the consistent closeness they all share in terms of picture quality.

Yes, some are better than others. And you can spend thousands of dollars on a player. Yet the megabuck player's picture won't necessarily exhibit a night-and-day difference in quality from a $300 progressive-scan machine.

That Zenith should serve you well enough until you are ready to spring for a more advanced unit. In the meantime, enjoy!

4. EarleD

EarleD Supporting Actor

Jack,

Thanks forthe info. This video stiff is new to me. Ill probably just hold on to the Zentith for a while.

Earle

5. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    I'd add that in general if you're very happy w/ the PQ, then don't worry about it. The point is to get things to the point where you're happy and enjoying the movies, etc., not merely trying to eek out that last 5% of what can be possible.

Just kick back and enjoy your new toy! [​IMG]

_Man_

6. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

Yeah dont worry about it, enjoy your player, the main differences between players comes when you are playing those few badly authored discs, I dont notice a difference between my Yamaha 2300 and my PS2 most of the time, but thats playing movies like lord of the rings and atack of the clones.

on your badly authored dvd's the Yamaha would outshine the PS2 but on the good ones.....

On the other hand the PS2 dosent play DVD-A or SACD [​IMG]

7. James Davis

James Davis Agent

Just moved into a new place, didn't have the DVD player hooked up yet, so I watched ST: Nemesis on the PS2 since it was already hooked up. My TV was set up with Avia for the DVD player, so everything was too bright, and I saw horrible ghosting after images. Curious, was this the difference in Calibration, Component cables vs A/V, or quality in players?

8. Greg*go

Greg*go Supporting Actor

It's probably a difference in component vs. a/v cables but it could also be that you calibrated your TV with your DVD player. Try calibrating it with the PS2, then see how it works. I think component cables generally give a darker image then a/v cables too, so that could explain why it was too bright.