What's new

How I was almost the victim in a drive by (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Jason,
I totally understand what you're talking about. And I have seen a 911 dispatch station and have seen the overload of calls--most of which are non-emergency. An emergency doesn't have to be life-threatening, but some of the calls coming in were ludicrous. I did not mean to sound too scornful towards 911. It's just that when bullets are flying, you sure as hell want someone in authority over there, double quick.
I just talked to my neighbor, who has been in the neighborhood for decades (although different parts). He's not going anywhere since I guess he's desensitized to it (and I don't know how you ever get used to that). He did point me out to a good online rental service, it's $60 but I know someone here at work who is also moving and may go 1/2 on it with me. Total access for 90 days, not too bad. And they have something like 10,000 listings just in Los Angeles alone.
I'm definitely not looking forward to going home tonight. I'm trying to convince my S.O. to stay in her apt. tonight because I'd rather not have 2 lives to look out for instead of 1. Kind of morbid, but that's the way I think. I sure hope my landlord got a wind of this and is doing something about those tenants. Otherwise, from the talk outside last night, he's going to have to fill about a half-dozen (out of 10) vacancies in the next month or two.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Damn Carlo, glad to hear you both are OK. It is time to move. If you need help, I'll gladly lend a hand. Oh yeah, I'll bring my AK-47 also :)
Peace Out~
biggrin.gif

------------------
The Green Room | Rons DVDs

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
This is such a sick world...
Glad to have you still with us Carlo.
Time to move to Canada. Calgary's good, want me to send you a brochure?! :)
------------------
I AM CANADIAN!
[Edited last by Paul McGowan on September 28, 2001 at 12:31 AM]

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Well, this has probably been the best possible night it could have been, all things considered. When I got home, my roommate was already here and everything was cool. She didn't notice anything suspicious, and the guys in #9 are nowhere to be found.
Also, the guys across the way from me, who are Brazilian, are having a fun party as if nothing happened. This is good because yesterday it looked like they were going to run back to Brazil. So it's life as usual, people trying to get on with life.
I'm still very motivated to move, but I do need at least a month to save funds in order to make the transition smooth for me and my roommate (who's living almost paycheck to paycheck, but not quite). Hopefully the neighborhood will quiet down, and I know people are already talking to the landlord to have #9 evicted. I'll join the parade.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
An update to the situation:
As of yesterday, Apt. 9 has totally vacated the premises. The landlord informed all of us that he renter to a family: mother, father, 12 year old kid, w/ perfect credit and no criminal history. However it was their 20 year old son who supposedly did not live with them that was involved in gangs--I think they lied to him until the end because the son had his own set of keys, but that's water under the bridge. Apparently this 20 year old had stolen a girl away from another gang member. I guess that guy is really pissed because he's now determined to kill the guy.
Anyway, the neighborhood has come together in a way I never expected. We've formed a neighborhood watch program, and we have several direct numbers and a cell phone number to the local cops who cover the gangs. We had a rep from Ruth Galanter's office at the first neighborhood watch meeting and they are going to put up some things in the street--not speed bumps, but something that will prevent drive-bys, I forgot what they were called--soon.
The cops said that I should do whatever makes me feel safe, but that outside of this incident, the crime rates in my neighborhood are "nearly non-existent." I asked if the departure of that family would make things better, of course they said "we can't guarantee anything, but chances are if they leave, life will revert to what it was like before the incident." Sure enough, before that happened, there was only the one shooting a year ago which the cops explained was pure bad luck. The other victim was from El Salvador and his family tried to move him out of that country to avoid the gangs he was with, and he moved in with a cousin who, yep, lived down my block. Well I guess El Salvador gangs are persistent, and they chased him to the US and got him, but the police apprehended the shooters while they were trying to get back to their country. Other than those incidents, violent and non-violent crime has been nearly non-existent in the past 5-7 years in my block.
Looking around West LA I couldn't find anything that was within our price range and available, so that sealed the deal for now. We are going to see how this works out with the gangmember gone. We will start saving our money (we're starting a "moving fund") so just in case anything else breaks down we'll be ready to up and leave like the wind. But they neighborhood has generally been nice and we do like the apartment, so we'll stick it out. Wish us luck. Thanks for listening.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Best of luck Carlo, good to hear from you. Hope this was just a fluke and things improve in you neighborhood.
What's amazing is:
quote: El Salvador gangs are persistent, and they chased him to the US and got him[/quote]
Damn!
Peace Out~
biggrin.gif

On a side note, how's that RP-91 working out? I am about ready to get the RP-56. I do not need DVD-A or upscaling and the 56 has the latest and greatest Sage Chipset so I might give it a shot first as it is nealry a couple hundred less that the 91.
------------------
http://home.earthlink.net/~peregrinefalcon
[Edited last by Ron-P on October 12, 2001 at 11:16 AM]

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Hey Ron,
The RP91 is fantastic! If you're talking about a Panny 56 (haven't been keeping up with tech. recently) and want to know my local dealer, send me an email.
Oh, and I'm on Michael TLV's schedule for ISF next Thursday. I promise after the dust settles we'll have that getogether we were talking about a few months ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks