What's new

How I Met Your Mother Season 9 (1 Viewer)

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Saw "How Your Mother Met Me" episode. It was a great episode. 8/10. Finally the first good episode of this season.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
It was a great episode, filling in lots of details and answering questions.

Hopefully the show is going to hit its stride from now to the end.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Hmm...sounds like it was good enough to make it the entire premise of the season...

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The premise of this episode didn't exactly excite me, but I really really enjoyed it. Ted lays his cards on the table with Robin, and it's not some grand revelation but rather a resigned sigh.Marshall knows Lily well enough that he recreates her side of the argument in his head. And makes a lot of the same points people here have been making.And Barney sheds of the life of Barney by drunkenly passing it along to two random proteges, apparently also re-transcribing the Playbook on cocktail napkins the entire time.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
I thought this was a fantastic episode, with each of the male leads delivering some really great performances. Josh Radnor putting in probably his best in a few seasons. This show is at its best when it has a little heart, as it did tonight (and last week, of course).

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Chip_HT said:
I got distracted by the gross continuity error. The screen said April 2008, but it was St. Patrick's Day.
From the Thomas and Bays AMA:

"There's a few little mistakes in the 200th episode that we're going to fix for future airings. The "couple of years" thing is being changed, and the St. Patrick's Day in April thing... man... that one was all me. Total blind spot. The fact that St. Patricks day is in March and not April was, if I may borrow the HIMYM term, my chameleon."

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Josh Dial said:
I thought this was a fantastic episode, with each of the male leads delivering some really great performances. Josh Radnor putting in probably his best in a few seasons. This show is at its best when it has a little heart, as it did tonight (and last week, of course).
100% agreed. For the first time in what feels like a long time, the five regulars all had something compelling to do in terms of the overall story. I felt something for all of them, having been on both ends of the Lily/Marshall argument, having to really bare my soul to someone I really didn't want to and giving up something that had defined me for so long.

A really great episode.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Jason_V said:
100% agreed. For the first time in what feels like a long time, the five regulars all had something compelling to do in terms of the overall story. I felt something for all of them, having been on both ends of the Lily/Marshall argument, having to really bare my soul to someone I really didn't want to and giving up something that had defined me for so long.

A really great episode.
I gave up on this show last year. Just seemed to be dragging things out to extend into another season. Compare it to the Mary Tyler Moore show which went out gracefully in the 70s. This show should have ended a year or two ago.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Be that as it may, it doesn't mean the show can't have flashes of brilliance after the time it "should" have gone away. Really, it got stale because we saw the same basic story every single week, stretched out for 20-something episodes per year. We didn't need more filler; we needed more "story" about these people growing up. We're finally getting it now.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Great episode. I've always enjoyed the show, but this episode was really nice. I loved how it focused on letting go of the past. Ted finally letting go of Robin was actually quite moving. The bit with the balloon and balloon Robin floating away to the tune of Eternal flame just pressed the right buttons for me.Nicely done, HIMYM. And Stan, if you "gave up on the show last year", I gotta ask.. then why the heck are you here? Do you have anything to add to the discussion other than "I don't watch this anymore". Um, ok. Good to know.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Yeh I often go into topics about tv shows just to tell people I havent watched it and then reference a show that hasn't been on in 35 years.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Wow guys. Just making a brief comment. Isn't that what this forum is meant for?I've been a member here for over 15 years, joined up back when DVDs were first being released, the whole DIVX, Circuit City fiasco.Relax, we can all get along just fine.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I give this episode 6/10 because it gave me one laugh. It was a one good laugh. The part where the crazy girl says to Ted they should get back together and puts her hand on him. It was the only good thing about this episode.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Stan said:
Wow guys. Just making a brief comment. Isn't that what this forum is meant for?I've been a member here for over 15 years, joined up back when DVDs were first being released, the whole DIVX, Circuit City fiasco.Relax, we can all get along just fine.
The issue is that nine out of ten posts (seriously, check this thread and the previous one) feature no discussion whatsoever, and simply state the show ought to have ended years ago. If you are going to state the same thing over and over, perhaps a more nuanced set of comments is appropriate. Otherwise, you can understand the reception...

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Glad to see it back on tonight after setting out the Olympics. I always like the background stories and this one (Barney's hangover cure) was amusing enough. Enjoyed the role reversal at the end of the episode with Robin and Lily. Ted consuming a pan of bacon and the "this would go great with my mom's LT sandwiches" was a nice joke.

Not a great episode, but nice to see it back again.

- Walter.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Solid episode. Good callbacks. Nice retcon on Barney's hangover fixer-upper. Agree, the "LT" joke was a good one :)I hope we're now done with the Lily lusts robin jokes. They've moved into okay territory, with both of them being (soon enough) married.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Coming off one of the best executed episodes in years, tonight's episode naturally felt like a bit of a step down in comparison. I did enjoy the payoff with Barney's hangover cure and Lily's seasons-long lust for Robin.

The show's at its best when it embraces its sentimentality rather than undercuts it, which is why the truth behind Barney's hangover cure worked so well -- and why the hijinks with Barney's intermitently conscious body didn't work so well.

With only five episodes left to go, we're really in the homestretch now. Given the amount of filler episodes we've had in the lead up to the wedding, I hope the wedding itself isn't rushed.

Some interesting developments for next week's episode though:
Lucy Hale returns for the first time since season two as Robin's sister Katie. The gang watches The Wedding Bride again.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
This was a fun average episode and I was kind of enjoying it until they showed the mother and the kids and it became a mediocre episode at best.

The final is going to be bad. They are showing all the payoffs too soon. What the final is going to be? Showing them how they meet? Why should it be anything special when we have already seen them together and worse, we have seen them with their kids!

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
It's the final season. We're three episodes from the finale. I'll take as much of the Mother as we can get, and hope they've still saved the best for last.

Enjoyed tonight's episode, with the rest of the gang feeling karma's wrath with the Wedding Bride sequel. It was fun showcasing that Robin's sister became a mini-Robin in the years we last saw her in season two, but I was hoping for something a little more interesting with her reappearance. It was nice to see Robin's mom pop up at the end. It'll be interesting to see what Tracey Ullman does with the role; I haven't seen her in a while.

Nice use of "If You See Her, Say Hello" over the bookending scene at the close of the episode. Can we take it from their conversation that Ted's mom passes away before he marries the Mother?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks