What's new

How I Met Your Mother Season 9 (1 Viewer)

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
Scott-S said:
The Generals game scenes were too distracting. The HORRIBLE acting of the little kid next to them was so distracting, I could not watch Ted and Marshall. Couldn't the director see the repeated hamming/miming that kid was doing? As for the rest of the episode, I love the fact that the "mom" didn't fall for the Barney's game. Pretty interesting how the "mom" is meeting everyone and helping them. That will help it make sense when the gang finally accepts her as one of their own. :)
I was kind of going back and forth cooking dinner for the family while the show was on, but to be honest, I didn't even notice any kid during the Ted & Marshal at the Generals game scenes when I was watching.

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
Chip_HT said:
Did I mix something up in the future timeline?

I thought that the scenes at the end of the second episode were supposed to be one year later, at Ted's wedding. But this last episode showed him proposing, and it appeared to be two years later.

But two years later wouldn't fit with the timeline established with the Star Wars episode where they showed Ted with a kid in 2015. (Plus, you know, the kids have to be teenagers by 2030.)
HIMYM suffers from some severe continuity errors, even in basic elements of the show. Marshall and Lily are the couple who always are supposed to tell each other everything, right? It's mentioned several times throughout the series, but they keep on getting afraid of talking out their problems or keep lying. It's so irritating.
Also, the basic storyline was probably only written to fill out 5 or 6 seasons. The writers' ideas for the story have probably changed significantly since the beginning.
The appearance of Ted's daughter in the Star Wars episode ("Trilogy Time") was only there, in my opinion, as a fake-out to make the audience think that The Mother would appear there. Otherwise, it serves no purpose in the continuity of the story. "Trilogy Time" is a season 7 episode, and as many fans will agree; seasons 5, 6, and 7 were the weakest of the series due to much inferior writing and excess filler.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I actually enjoyed the way Marshall's road trip ended, with us getting the see the best parts of Marshall.And I just about died with that final beat where Ranjit is driving Cheryl to God knows where for God knows what purpose when suddenly Jerry's launches himself onto the the hood out of nowhere and demands his wife back. Anybody know how many episodes they've got Lithgow for this season? It's great having him back in a worthwhile comedic role.It's a trip pinging back and forth between Loretta here and Myrtle Snow on American Horror Story: Coven. Frances Conroy couldn't give two more different performances. I'm also hoping we'll get Ashley Benson and Lucy Hale back as Barney and Robin's respective siblings.The a-plot was pretty meh. I guess if you've got William Zabka, you might as well use them.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
This is a weird season. Or perhaps, the inevitably mediocre 9th season of a sitcom.

The Billy Zabka who-done-it was fun, in that it returned substantially to HIMYM tropes. I like the silly break-the-4th-wall character moments. Ted's obsession with calligraphy. Zabka's terrible life as a bad-guy, until Barney appeared. All of that was fun, and fit HIMYM for me.

But the business of Barney and his brother fighting over which father was going to reunite with their mother...Barney's story of his father has always been extremely exaggerated (even for this show), but insofar as they've made the little wooden toy into a real boy who could get married, this was getting dumb. Trying to destroy his real-dad's marriage to get his mom back together.

Is the Marshall side-story because Jason Segel is making another Muppet Movie? I can't figure out this cast separation. The real story is working out with Lily whose career they follow. This red herring of a road trip I can't figure out.

And, as I say every week: please bring in the Mother.

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
DaveF said:
This is a weird season. Or perhaps, the inevitably mediocre 9th season of a sitcom.

The Billy Zabka who-done-it was fun, in that it returned substantially to HIMYM tropes. I like the silly break-the-4th-wall character moments. Ted's obsession with calligraphy. Zabka's terrible life as a bad-guy, until Barney appeared. All of that was fun, and fit HIMYM for me.

But the business of Barney and his brother fighting over which father was going to reunite with their mother...Barney's story of his father has always been extremely exaggerated (even for this show), but insofar as they've made the little wooden toy into a real boy who could get married, this was getting dumb. Trying to destroy his real-dad's marriage to get his mom back together.

Is the Marshall side-story because Jason Segel is making another Muppet Movie? I can't figure out this cast separation. The real story is working out with Lily whose career they follow. This red herring of a road trip I can't figure out.

And, as I say every week: please bring in the Mother.
Yeah the season is a real mixed bag, with too much stuff that I haven't liked. I hate to say it, but I'll be happy once it's over.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I really enjoyed it, and didn't expect to. It didn't really move the story forward, but it was very clever and made me chuckle repeatedly.Although the end did leave me wondering why, if Marshall's only five miles away from the Inn, he doesn't just call somebody to come pick him up.And if we missed the whole rehearsal dinner, I'm gonna be pissed. When you have a whole season to tell the story of one wedding, you don't skip any of the important parts.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I admire the work that went into the episode, but it is complete filler. There is no need at all to know or see anything in this episode. I'd much rather have Marshall in a car with Sheri Sheperd again. We see another Ted uncertain around girls, more Robin being one of the boys (more or less) and Barney doing what he's been doing for eight years. Enough. Let's get to the mother and Ted, to the wedding..come on.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Where to start. I started watching HIMYM few years back and when heard it’s the last season and saw a picture of the mother, sped up my viewing to catch season 9 live.

I very much enjoyed the end of season 8 and the episode where Ted runs to the mother’s apartment few episodes back. Having seen the mother I was very excited for season 9. It had great potential.

I started season 9 and liked the first episode and now I am on episode 6 and what the hell! 6 episodes and still the wedding? I go online and to my horror find out that all season 9 will be the wedding. So I suppose Ted will meet her at the series final and that’s it?

I have to say that they completely dropped the ball. This is the worst idea I have ever heard and they missed a great opportunity. I was fully expecting to see Cristin Milioti in every episode exploring her relationship with Ted like what all the other great shows have done. To make matters worse, in episode 2 or 3 they show her kissing Ted from the future, whose idea was that? Terrible idea. That’s the payoff. This proves that we will not see their relationship.

Anyway I am very disappointed and they completely ruined the series. They have missed a great opportunity to develop a great relationship. Oh and I can’t take for a second seeing more of Marshall on the road. I mean come on, 6 episodes and he is still on the road?!

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Wow. Funny, I write that yesterday and the next day I see the lighthouse episode with Ted proposing. My voice was like Robin's WHAT?!! WHAT?!! No built up, no nothing, to throw away that big moment just like that is just wrong! It's official, they have lost their mind!

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
SamT said:
Anyway I am very disappointed and they completely ruined the series. They have missed a great opportunity to develop a great relationship. Oh and I can’t take for a second seeing more of Marshall on the road. I mean come on, 6 episodes and he is still on the road?!
The only upside is that he's a few miles away from the stupid hotel and he was walking over. Theoretically, Marshall should be reunited with the gang by the next episode. *crossing fingers*

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
Lromero1396 said:
HIMYM suffers from some severe continuity errors, even in basic elements of the show. Marshall and Lily are the couple who always are supposed to tell each other everything, right? It's mentioned several times throughout the series, but they keep on getting afraid of talking out their problems or keep lying. It's so irritating.
That's problems with characterization, not continuity. But the show's always been pretty good about continuity when dealing with the big things. Like any sitcom, they might sacrifice a character trait or history here for a laugh, but since future Ted is an unreliable narrator, they've given themselves an out.

Lromero1396 said:
Also, the basic storyline was probably only written to fill out 5 or 6 seasons. The writers' ideas for the story have probably changed significantly since the beginning.
But I wasn't referring to the writers not matching up to a scene or fact from season 1...they aren't matching up to the first episode of the current season.

Lromero1396 said:
The appearance of Ted's daughter in the Star Wars episode ("Trilogy Time") was only there, in my opinion, as a fake-out to make the audience think that The Mother would appear there. Otherwise, it serves no purpose in the continuity of the story. "Trilogy Time" is a season 7 episode, and as many fans will agree; seasons 5, 6, and 7 were the weakest of the series due to much inferior writing and excess filler.
I think you missed the point of that episode. Ted thought his life was just swirling down the toilet, but as is the case with every other three year span of his life, it would be drastically different than he thought. Plus, by that point of the series, it was pretty obvious that we wouldn't actually be seeing the Mother until the final season.

But regardless of that episode, his kids are teenagers in 2030. We're rapidly approaching the point in which they need to be born.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
How on earth Robin went into that room without seeing it was fake?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Did not like that episode. It made no sense. Unlike the classic two-minute date, that has a believability to it. And the entire setup felt extremely mean, and not appropriate for Robin (whereas the bachelor party prank was totally right for Barney).I don't understand this season. Why is Segal AWOL? Why is the mother not part of the show?

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
DaveF said:
I don't understand this season. Why is Segal AWOL? Why is the mother not part of the show?
Jason Segel was the last holdout among the cast for a ninth season. I wouldn't be surprised if a reduced shooting schedule was part of the agreed upon terms. I'd like more of the Mother too, though I'm glad they're not wasting her and that every appearance has a real impact.Things are looking up in coming weeks (very general spoilers from episode synopses):
The next episode, airing a week from Monday, is written by series creators Carter Bays & Craig Thomas and titled "Bass Player Wanted". We know the Mother plays a bass guitar. Hmmm... And the one sentence synopsis ends with "...and Marshall finally arrives at the Farhampton Inn."More importantly, the 200th episode, airing January 27th, is titled "How Your Mother Met Me" and promises to be very Mother-centric.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Even though this is the final season and the big "secret" will finally be revealed, I've stopped watching.
Bad writing, bad directors or producers? I don't know how to explain it but it's just not enjoyable anymore. Maybe they pushed it a little to far and should have ended a year or two ago.

When it finally ends, I'll just read about it here.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Adam Lenhardt said:
Jason Segel was the last holdout among the cast for a ninth season. I wouldn't be surprised if a reduced shooting schedule was part of the agreed upon terms. I'd like more of the Mother too, though I'm glad they're not wasting her and that every appearance has a real impact.Things are looking up in coming weeks (very general spoilers from episode synopses):
The next episode, airing a week from Monday, is written by series creators Carter Bays & Craig Thomas and titled "Bass Player Wanted". We know the Mother plays a bass guitar. Hmmm... And the one sentence synopsis ends with "...and Marshall finally arrives at the Farhampton Inn."More importantly, the 200th episode, airing January 27th, is titled "How Your Mother Met Me" and promises to be very Mother-centric.
I hadn't read about Segels possibly reduced schedule. The first couple appearances of the Mother were great. But the proposal showed they'll squander really big moments to try and save an otherwise bad episode. But I'll keep watching. I believe everything has to improve when Marshall arrives at the inn, and the mother is interacting with Ted.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I dont think they pushed it too much. They easily could have gone one more season. I just think it's a bad idea that they are spending the whole season on that marriage. The mother should have met Ted at the end of last season and this season should have been about their relationship afterward.

Hate to bring up FRIENDS here but for comparison, I think the best season was when Monica and Chandler started to date and they explored their relationship. It was so fun and fresh, especially when they tried to keep it a secret from the others.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks