What's new

How I Met Your Mother - season 5 (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I've enjoy HIMYM since S2 (I think). But lately it's felt like it's run off the rails. The 3rd and 2nd most recent episodes were terrible. This last one was mediocre. The "drunk or kid" felt like an overly forced joke. Barney's "who cried" was overplayed, and became tedious halfway through the episode.

I hope the show gets it back together. The season started strong, but I'm losing interest with these sloppy episodes.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I didn't want a rehash of Ted and Stella but it's always nice to see Judy Greer.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I love seeing Judy Greer. I don't know what planet you're from, but I wish she stuck around for more than one ep. She was also great on BBT.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Yup. Love me some Judy Greer. Great to see her in two of my favorite shows this week. Wish someone would give her a show again.

Oh, and the rest of the episode was nice, too.

Regards,

Joe

EricW

Senior HTF Member
i paused on the last shot to read some of the "baggage", thinking maybe the Wife was one of them :) didn't look like any of them could be, but one of the baggages was "still likes Oasis" :) had to laugh at that.

however i didn't like the "movie within a tv-show" thing, it felt just really awkward and took me out of the show, much like the Jack Black parts on The Office.

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
It didn't help that the movie itself really wasn't that funny. Or even good. But that seems to be a problem whenever there is a case of acting within a TV show or movie.

But I did like most of the surrounding bits.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
Remember, we're not necessarily seeing what really happened - we're seeing what Ted is relating to his kids in the future, which has proven to sometimes be unreliable. And since he hates the movie, he's describing it as a horrid piece of schlock.

At least that's how I justify it in my mind. ;)

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Originally Posted by EricW

yes, but it's a distractingly un-entertaining joke.

Well the point was for it be bad and un-entertaining to Ted, so I guess I just don't see a way for them to have done it in any other way. It's hard to make something unfunny within the confines of the show's characters, yet funny for the real-life audience. It was definitely a gamble.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
i wonder if they could have made some gags that would have been annoyingly personal to Ted, but still actually funny - so we could see both sides. (being Ted's annoyance, but the other character's enjoyments of it as well). but this might be too much to ask. even stuff like 30 Rock and Studio 60, the sketch-within-a-show stuff wasn't particularly funny either. but, maybe it's just me. i don't find most of the stuff on SNL that funny. it's very rare (laser cats and macgruber is hilarious though)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I didn't really like the penultimate, but thought the finale was back to form.

Maybe because I have friends about to become parents and lately I have been thinking about how I have changed over the years. The doppelganger notion resonated with me quite a bit.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Originally Posted by Cameron Yee

Great conclusion to a season. Really hit the stride toward the end of the season. Some good laughs.

I agree with both Matt and Cameron. HIMYM isn't as laugh-a-second as Big Bang Theory or Community, but it's a sweeter show, and resonates with me because I (and most of my friends) are at the same point in our lives as the characters (BBT resonates too because I'm a geek, but in a different way, ya know?). I think this show has the most heart of any comedy right now, and it's a welcome thing, in my opinion.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I think this show has the most heart of any comedy right now, and it's a welcome thing, in my opinion.

I agree. Plus Allison is rockin' those new mommy boobs, which is always a plus.

(Hey, we're losing JLH on Ghost Whisperer, so we've got to take comfort where we can.)

Regards,

Joe

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Originally Posted by Joseph DeMartino

I don't think that is a plus for Josh. Also, I've started yelling, "blow your nose!" once per episode when Allyson talks.

HIMYM is good for a LOL moment here and there, but I watched most of this season out of habit.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Originally Posted by Hanson Yoo

I don't think that is a plus for Josh.

Yes, I greatly prefer my fellow Canadian, Cobie Smulders, to Alyson Hannigan.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks