What's new

How I Met Your Mother - ongoing thread (1 Viewer)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I am still a bit frustrated with this show as the writers toy with our desire to see Robin and Ted get together. Ted better meet his wife by the end of the season and she better be worth it! :)

Tim Jin

Supporting Actor
I have never watched this show and don't plan to, but according to the title "How I Met Your Mother", what exactly does that means?

How I met your mother?? Which mother are they referring to? Are they talking about their future wives, or are they talking about meeting their in-laws?

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
He's talking to his kids in 2030. They look maybe fifteen, give or take. So that means he doesn't have them for ten years. Since he has to meet her (although not marry her) sometime before then, that's their window.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
There was an article in our local paper about the actress who plays Robin and she said that the "grown up" Ted refers to her as Aunt Robin to his kids.

It does make you wonder how many seasons they will be able to get out of this. Of course, MASH was able to make a 3 year war last for 12 years and how many years did it take to get Gillian and the gang off that island?

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
That she's the aunt and not the mother was the big reveal in the pilot. But as someone mentioned right off, it makes for an awkward setup since Ted's pining for her and ultimately you know it's not her.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Do we know for sure the kids are the speaker's? They might be his neice and nephew. if so, thier Aunt could still be his wife.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Good question, but I don't think there's ever been a question about the kids being Ted's; I think they've called him Dad a few times.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
In the opening scene of the first episode the narrator refers to himself as Dad to the 2 kids, as in "Before I was Dad, I had this whole other life."

AjayM

Screenwriter

But he calls Marshall and Barney "Uncle" in the stories along with Lilly being an "aunt" as well. So I don't think we can assume that Robin is anything more than a friend in the future (ie Robin's sister doesn't hook up with Ted).

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I never took "aunt" to be literal, but I don't think we can absolutely rule out Ted hooking up with a sister of Robin's.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
I agree. Being a scooby, I initially tuned in for the Alyson factor and for me it's been a pleasant surprise. I actually look forward to watching this which in today's current TV climate is a rarity.

:) d

Dan B

Screenwriter
I'm enjoying this show as well, but I too am wondering how they'll make us not wish he ended up with Robin.

Yeah! It took me a while before I realised who that was.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
I don't think Robin is literally the kids' aunt. "Aunt" and "uncle" are often used to refer to a friend of someone's parents.

My friend always mentions his uncle, who is just a friend of his dad's & not related to him at all.

I'm curious why someone who has no interest in the show cares what the title means.

Wouldn't surprise me if even the *writers* don't yet know who Ted's wife will be.

I think it's a nice change to have Robin be a platonic friend, since on almost all these shows, the male & female leads end up getting together at some point.

For all we know, maybe Ted WILL marry Robin, just not have kids with her (or at least not the kids he's talking to).

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I caught a re-run of Friends the other night where the tryst between Rachel and Joey was starting. Now THAT was one awkward pairing - fortunately they didn't linger too long on it. I'm not sure why they never explored the Phoebe-Joey possibility. I think that would have been rife with hilarity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks