What's new

How have you been complimented? (1 Viewer)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Time to feel good about ourselves!

Mine:
- hands
- eyes
- unflappable demeanor

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
I've had compliments on my voice, with people telling me I should do radio/voiceover stuff.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
I've been complimented on my blue eyes. People are shocked when I reveal that one is a cosmetic contact to replace a torn iris in my right eye. They actually took a photo of my good eye and computer match the iris on the contact to the photo. Little bugger costs $380 every time I need one, so it better be good enough for a compliment. ;)

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
All my old girlfriends told me I was a "nice guy" while breaking my heart....:frowning:

LewB

Screenwriter
Someone once told me 'you ain't right'. Best compliment I ever received :D

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
I never take it as a compliment but everyone think that I look 14 or 15 years old. Then I tell them I'm 20.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
If it's like that now, it will only get worse (unless you really put that turning 21 thing to use). I'm 32 and still get mistaken for a high school junior/senior or a college student. It sort of depends on where I'm at at the time. If people expect there to be high school or college students around they assume I'm one of them. One friend told me part of it is that I don't carry my age on my shoulders like others do. I guess that's one benefit for being childless and spouseless :).

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
My sense of humor and my caring nature, I care about people.

Also, those that have seen my 'Halloween alter-ego' thread know what the special name is that my girl calls me, if you don't know, i'm not going to tell you. ;)

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I've been complimented on how beautiful my wife is, usually implying that it's amazing that a guy that looks like me could get a girl who looks like her. :) Also, on how cute my son is (he takes after my wife, Thank God). :)

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim

Isn't that somewhat typical for an Asian in the US? When I was in Vegas 10 years ago at age 26, I got carded while standing near a slot machine (I wasn't playing, just waiting for the others, but security approached me anyway).

Up till I was 30 or so I looked younger than I actually was, not too sure why. Sadly that is no longer true, and I look my age now :frowning:

The most bizarre age-related experience I've had was in my profession -- I've been practising law for over 12 years now, but at the time in question I was at the 10+ year mark. I was waiting my turn in court, and bumped into another lawyer I'd met as opposing counsel in another case who was also waiting his turn. He must be in his late 50s or early 60s, since his youngest daughter is about 25 and is an associate in his firm, although he doesn't look much over 50. He commented to me, "us senior lawyers don't seem to come to court much nowadays, do we?" My immediate (mental) reaction was, "Whaddya mean, us senior lawyers??" It was weird that a man 20+ years my senior considered me his contemporary...

Ravi K

Supporting Actor
Sense of humor, usually. It's never my chiseled, god-like face or my rippling muscles, dammit :)

Among a couple of friends I'm known as the electronics guy (even though I know very little about it). I just happened to fix their 5.1 system and a few other things for them.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I think so, but then I get similar reactions from my mom's Chinese acquaintances, who I think should know better. I used to buzz cut my hair and recently grew it out. Co-workers said it makes me look YOUNGER! I think it's really that I used to look like a badass and now I look boyish. My only hope is that things will work itself out and those 20 year-olds will finally see me as the older man they're attracted to. :) So I guess I don't exactly take it as a compliment right now, but I will when I get older.

BTW, this youthfulness thing runs in the family. My dad was 37 when he got married to my mom 20 years his junior. Looking at their wedding photos he looks like he's 25. He's 77 now and he still looks at least 10 years younger than he is.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
My wife is Chinese and she's 31, but still gets mistaken for 19 or 20 by people all the time. She works at a university, and is often asked by other students whether she's a freshman or sophmore, or what classes she's taking, etc.

I ain't complaining. :)

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I’ve been complimented for continuing to be polite to by bridge partners, even after extreme provocation. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks