What's new

How good is SG1 really? (1 Viewer)

Eric_Connelly

Second Unit
Stargate is the number one sci-fi/fantasy show among women.

Thats the reason Michael Shanks came back, female viewship dropped heavily when he left the show.

Hopefully Atlantis will be good...I'm wary of spin offs and this one looks a bit cheesy in the previews.

It is one of the few shows my wife will drop what she is doing to sit down and watch and that says a whole lot.

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck
I am a B5 fan. I loved the movie, and picked up the early 1st season trial DVD up. The video quality of that episode suck, at least in the beginning scene. SG1 originally started on Showtime, so the pilot was R rated. I rarely caught a few episodes. Then about 2 years ago or so, SCI-FI channel started running 4 hour blocks of SG-1 on Mondays nights. That is when I started watching it. Then I started getting the season sets.

I like the series a lot. I like the humor and the acting and the plotlines/mythology/archaeology. While some will never like Richard Dean Anderson (McGuyver), I think he does a great job. I also think he enjoys cracking up his coworkers, and I think a whole bunch of his one-liners are ad-hoc.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I hated the movie so I had no real desire to see the TV show. A friend of mine loves it and is buying all the Season sets. He wanted to borrow my DS9 sets and offered Stargate in return so I said why not. I was hooked shortly after the pilot. I'm halfway through Season 3 right now and have enjoyed the ride all the way so far. Supposedly Season 4 and 5 are the best. I would say this is just like Buffy; the movies both tanked at the Box Office and were not that great but the TV series are both vastly superior. I'm not sure why Season One takes so much heat its at least as good as Season One of B5 and definately better than Season One of DS9 or Voyager. Overall I would rate this series below B5 but I'm finding it better than just about any other sci-fi TV series of the past 10-15 years.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I picked up season two over the weekend, and have the season 1 finale to look forward to tonight. I am glad I decided to watch two episodes last night, so I have Politics out of the way.

Clips show. Ugh.

chris_everett

Second Unit
Not a bad show. Not great, not buffy, or B5, but not bad at all. Fans of military themed shows can enjoy it (and there's even less in this genre on TV than sci-fi stuff) and when it wants to make a politcal point it won't beat you over the head with it. (Unlike ST) More of a "fun" show like farscape, rather than super-serious B5.

Blu

Screenwriter
I believe I'll take the plunge and start with S1 and see how it goes!

I am looking forward to it, I like taking on a new journey with characters that you grow to love!

So I guess you talked me into it!!! LOL!

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Linda
Blu -- I honestly don't believe that you will ever regret taking the plunge.

SG-1 really is a great show, IMO. There's a commander who loves the Simpsons and reads MAD Magazine, in charge of life-and-death missions and situations... If you liked RDA as MacGyver, you'll like him as Jack O'Neill. (There are so many character traits in common between the two characters, I can even convince myself sometimes that O'Neill IS a matured MacGyver.) And, all of the other characters are extremely well-cast and well-acted also. You can easily believe that this is a real group of people who have come to love and respect one another, working together as a team on a project which just so happens to (quite frequently) involve the fate of the world...and not just OUR world.

The setting is kept grounded by being effectively set in the present, so there's a very reasonable balance between the usual whiz-bang over-the-top sci-fi props and concepts, set in and surrounded by the world that you and I both see every day when we step out our front doors. A character comes back from a mission...gets in a car that you could walk onto a lot and purchase right now. Personally, I really love this particular angle of the show...that "here and now" feeling.

Let us know what you think of it after you've digested a bit. I fully believe you are going to be VERY pleased.

david_slater

Stunt Coordinator
its one of the best shows to come out in a long time... :emoji_thumbsup: :D
it has the right mix just like star trek:tos did but with a lot better f/x.

Rob Dwyer

Stunt Coordinator
SG1 is great... and I can't help but disagree with everyone's opinion with season 6 - while there were some clunkers in there, every season had em.

And i liked Jonas Quinn... they should have brought him back this season when they needed another team member. sheesh, just because the guy was Parker Lewis doesn't mean he shouldn't get any respect :D

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
My parents actually turns me on to it. At $50 for an entire set, I can afford that. Everyone keeps blasting most of the first season. I've gotten through the first two episodes on disc two and the shows are pretty good, actually.

Yes, I'm even getting tired of the "save the people from X" plots, but I'll stick around for RDA and Michael Shanks.

BTW, love DS9, B5 and Farscape.

Blu

Screenwriter
Since getting the first season I have seen about 5 episodes, it IS a great show!

Thank you all for the adivce, HTF usually steers you in the right direction!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks