How effective are billboards?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by MarkHastings, Apr 3, 2003.

1. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

I commute 100 miles/day and I see TONS of billboards. Since most of my commute is stop and go traffic, I usually don't have more than 1 second to read the billboards. This one billboard got me thinking...It was for Miller Beer. They showed a line drawing of this woman in a bathing suit...the entire picture was black and white, except her hair was the color of beer (an amber color with the bubbles) and her bathing suit had the Miller logo (in color). Now, the ad got my attention, but when I saw that it was a beer ad, I immediately thought of my favorite beer (which isn't Miller). So I thought it was funny that Miller was strengthening my passions for their competition. [​IMG]

Also, Another billboard was for this Bedding company (Sleepy's) and it said something like

2. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

Wendy's - 2 miles - exit 42. [​IMG]

Other than the ones for restaurants, none of them convince me to buy their product(s).

3. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    "I know that half of my advertising dollars are wasted. The trouble is, I don't know which half."

John Wannamaker, pioneering retailer

4. Mark Frank

Mark Frank Stunt Coordinator

I agree with ThomasC. Pretty much the only time billboards work for me is when I'm travleing and looking for somewhere decent to eat. And that's probably about 0.25% of the time. So their advertising dollars aren't working on me typically.

5. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

I was going to write something about how the Restaurant ads are effective, but those are more effective when you're far from home.

I tend to see a LOT of car dealership ads as well. I think: Does someone really see this sign and think "I need to buy a car!" [​IMG]

The other thing that prompted me to think write this thread was the billboard I saw for the actual billboard company...you know the ones:

6. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

7. Pamela

Pamela Supporting Actor

Billboards aren't generally that effective in and of themselves, but can work well to reinforce the other media in the campaign. We find that radio usually gives us the biggest bang for our buck. Targeted direct mail also works well. but we usually add print, billboards and bus kings into the mix. They all work together.

8. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino

9. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Billboards are illegal in Vermont, so they have no affect on me. [​IMG]

I must say I do sort of appreciate them when I'm traveling in unfamiliar areas, however, as a source of information and directions than actual advertising.

10. Dan M~

Dan M~ Second Unit

Do billboards work?

Does "South Of The Border" ring any bells??

(I-95)

11. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

I don't like 'em because they distract me too much. I realize that's the intent, but sometimes all the glitter and small print makes me a wreckless driver. I desperately want to know what it says so I spend too long trying to read it, thus taking my concentration off of the road. I do my best to not even look at them that way I can stay sane.

12. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

13. dave_brogli

dave_brogli Screenwriter

i hate billboards