What's new

How does the build quality of the Panasonic DVD-S55S compare to the 'S35S? (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
As I have stated here a number of times, I am looking for an inexpensive DVD-Audio player for my second stereo system. Two players that interest me are the Panasonic DVD-S55S ($130) and the 'F85 ($150). I went into Circuit City yesterday looking for these players, and they had the 'F85 on display. A salesman looked in their computer system, and it looks like they will not be getting the 'S55S.

I was quite impressed with the build quality of the 'F85. The chassis felt very solid for a $150 player, and the changer mechanism was fast, smooth, and quiet. Circuit City also had the non-DVD-Audio-capable 'S35S and 'F65 on display. In comparing the build quality of the 'F65 and 'F85, I found the 'F65 to be more "tinny". When I tapped the side of the 'F65, it seemed to rattle a bit, whereas the 'F85 was solid. The changer mechanism appeared to be the same on the two units.

After comparing changers, I checked out the build quality of the 'S35S and was thoroughly unimpressed. It feels very thin and hollow. Now, the 'S35S is only $100. For the extra $30, do you get better build quality with the 'S55S? If the 'S55S feels the same as the 'S35S, I don't want it. I know it's what's under the hood that counts, but I don't want a component that feels flimsy. I expect the 'S55S and 'F85 to give similar performance with DVD-Audio, so I will go with the 'F85 if it is built better.

Any comments you can share would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Keith,

Remember my post about getting a DVD player for my mom?? I purchased the S35S from Best Buy, and after a couple of days of checking out the machines's performance on her Sony hi def-capable big screen, I returned it. The picture quality wasn't all that great when compared to her previous Pioneer DV-414. Audio quality? Typical....nothing special. The remote was horrible....not shaped well for the hand (at least not for my hands or my mom's). I don't know whether the Pioneer was a really good machine or the Panasonic was just not so good.

Any opinions about Toshibas??

John Knowles

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
That's interesting since I'm looking at a prog-scan player to use instead of the Pioneer DVL-919, which I believe is the same DVD section as the 414. I will get something better but I was going to get one of the Pannys until I can save up for a good universal SACD/DVDA machine, but if the picture quality isn't much better than what I get out of the Pioneer now (my hd set doesn't do 3:2 pulldown), then I might as well wait. Or perhaps the new Sony 725 might be better?

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Danny, thanks for the information. I wonder if the 'S55S is a better audio component than the 'S35S simply because the 'S55S handles DVD-Audio. Still, I appreciate your comments.

I don't want to spend much on a DVD-Audio player for my second system, so I hope one of the budget Panasonic players will suffice. This is my second system, and I am only looking for a component for stereo DVD-Audio. I do not have a TV in the room, so I do not really care about video quality. Also, I am set in terms of CD players in this system, so a good DVD-Audio player is all I am after. I'd love to get a Denon DVD-1600, but if I came home with that player at $500, a month after getting the Denon '3800 for $1200 for the main system, I think my fiancee would have some words for me. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks