What's new

How does everyone feel about UMD (PSP) movies? (1 Viewer)

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp

I don't think a study is really required. On the PSP screen, the resolution is probably much greater on a dots per inch basis than a DVD on a standard sized television.

So I guess anything can be Hi-Def if you make the screen small enough. ;)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I watched Spider-man 2 on a friend's PSP and I didn't think the fast-action motion looked all that smooth to me.

Rusty Ray

Second Unit
yeah i knew it was 1.8 gb, but i am wondering how long of a movie they can put on one of these and still keep the quality.. The director's cut of Hellboy runs approx 132 min... which is the longest movie on umd that i can think of...(so far)

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I've got a PSP. I won't be buying any UMD movies. 1/3 the resolution of DVD. No surround. No extras. Often, no OAR.

And all for the same price as a DVD? Don't make me laugh!

And, yes, from viewing the Spiderman 2 UMD, there's a lot of motion blur and some kind of cadence artifacting in fast scenes.

Rusty Ray

Second Unit
it seems like my anti glare pelican screen protector makes the blur effect worse.. but i can't handle the scratches :)

Kain_C

Screenwriter

Alright. Then why are you on this thread? And you obviously have not seen one if you think the screen size is the same as a business card. And you haven't seen how beautiful the display truly is. You may want to take a look at it before you pass judgment so quickly. You might be surprised.

BUT, a regular price of $30 or even a sales price of $22 or whatever per movie is WAY to expensive. Actually, it's a ripoff and one of the reasons I decided not to get one. Those movies should be $5-10, NO more.

Daniel-M

Second Unit
UMD and the whole concept of PSP is a vaste of money. and i really douby it is good for the eyes to watch a screen that size for two hours

Alex-A

Stunt Coordinator
Once again people fall for the old gag where a company release something that's supposed to do a million things. Sony is becoming the next bloody Microsoft. They want to take control of every possible market on the planet. And they seem to be succeeding here with this stupid UMD movie crap. You want movies on a small screen? Buy a DVD and a portable player, or a laptop.

I'm sorry, its ok to like each new 'gadget' that comes out, but this is ridiculous. Sony is not getting any of my money. I don't own any Playstation and never will. I don't believe in using one device that can attempt to do "everything", instead of a device designed for something specific. If I want to play a video game, I use a video game system. If I want to watch a movie, I use a DVD player and my TV. The same gimmick has taken over the cell phone market.

Just my opinion. It seems the people of this world love spending their money on the latest technology when its not even necessary.

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
Watching Spider-Man 2 was enough for me. While the video quality is good, the refresh rate on the screens suck. There is major ghosting during just about any scene where something moves.

David Galindo

Screenwriter
lol, yeah. Lots of angry people on this thread. :|

UMDs DO HAVE EXTRAS. I dont know why people say otherwise.

I like having it on my PSP, the price is OK, not great. Im buying UMD movies. Its not for everyone, I realize. I just find it funny that the main arguements in the thread are coming from people who dont even own a PSP. Sheesh.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell

Thread crapping? This thread is entitled "How does everyone feel...?" The first poster asked, "Would you pay $18 (Circuit City) for a portable widescreen version of a movie?" This thread calls for people to give their opinions. Negative opinions, even if based on insufficient evidence or using exaggeration, are not threadcraps. A threadcrap would be if this thread was called, say, "My UMD disc is scratched and won't play. Help!" and someone posted that the PSP screen sucked.

So, people are exaggerating. Is that a threadcrap? It wasn't a threadcrap when David Galindo wildly and incorrectly claimed that the PSP used a "hi-def codec" or that the picture quality was "almost hi-def looking," was it? In comparison to that, I'd say that calling a 4.3" diagonal screen a "business card" is closer to the truth.

This thread asked for opinions. And, yes, even opinions you don't like are not threadcraps.

DJ

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Maybe this would be a good poll:

"Would you pay $20 to $30 MSRP for digital movie software that is 1/3 the resolution of DVD and includes no surround sound, extras, and cannot be played through your home TV/theater setup."

I'm sure anybody who reacted negatively would be ignorant people who don't own a PSP. :rolleyes

Well, I own a PSP, and I say that UMD movies are a silly joke and will disappear from the mass-market like Minidisc, SACD, Beta, and so many other technologies.

David Galindo

Screenwriter

I thought it was a hi-def codec because its the same one they are using in HD-DVD. I guess I was wrong, I apologize.

Also, the screen does look hi-def. If you disagree, at least watch it before doing so. You have no base there.

So, I guess we'll all agree to disagree. But like I said before, lots of angry people in this thread. :D

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
i was under the assumption that it was. if they arent, the exaggeration made it feel that way.

that said, i dont own a psp. i'd never buy a psp movie, and i dont have much need for the games available, but the day that a decent mame/nes/snes emulator is released for the psp, i'll buy one, even with the postage stamp screen.

CJ

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell

No. It's all about context. In a thread asking for people's opinions, expressing negative opinions is completely on-topic. A threadcrap occurs when someone trashes something and opinions were not the topic of discussion (e.g., "I found 'X Movie' for a great price!" "Too bad 'X Movie' sucks!"). If expressing a negative opinion was disallowed in a thread about opinions, there would be no point in having a forum. We could just talk to ourselves and agree with everything we say.

DJ

PeterMano

Stunt Coordinator
As a psp owner, I'll just say that umd movies on psp are a curious choice. As it is, I've programmed my own material on mem stick, cartoons and some tv shows. I simply can't watch a two hour film on the psp. The ergonomics arfe very akward. But, if I'm at Starbucks, taking in a 7 minute cartoon fits the bill.

The psp screen has a number of strengths and a number of weaknesses. Its strengths are 4.3" 16x9 screen, 480 x 272 resolution, good color rendition. Its weaknesses are a less than stellar refresh rate, a very glare prone screen, and a narrow viewing angle.

The whole notion of POTC on umd selling for $31.99 canadian at Future shop, when I can buy the two disc dvd for half that price has me shaking my head. To add insult to injury, from what I can tell from the box, the film has been reformatted to fit the psp screen. Aspect ratio is listed as 1.78.

David Galindo

Screenwriter
Some movies are being cropped, while others (like Kill Bill) are in their OAR.

But I agree: the price is ridiculous. The idea is great, but man oh man they're gonna learn the hard way...

UMDs wont die, they'll just get cheaper, hopefully.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks