What's new

How does EAD theatermaster classic compare to todays pre/pro? (1 Viewer)

Tim MC

Auditioning
I own a pioneer elite and have the chance to get a EAD theatermaster classic with full upgrades to DTS, but don't
know if it will stand up to the new pre/pro that are out today. I do mostly 2 chan listening. Should i get this EAD or buy a newer pre/pro. I already have a 6.1 addon.
Any comments will help me greatly :).
Thanks for your time
Tim Mc

Tim MC

Auditioning
Does anyone have a theatermaster classic? I know they are good but will they compare to todays pre/pro? Does anyone have any links to pages about the theatermaster classic? There are 2 versions the regular and the signature.
Thanks
Tim Mcdowell

Karim Nogas

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Tim,
Here's the only link I could find:
http://www.eadcorp.com/tm8.htm
It's difficult to decide on separates vs. receiver when you're getting into this price range. I heard the TM for movies, and would love to have it mated with my EAD player. Would you stick with EAD for the amp as well?
But, since you're a 2-channel guy, you might want to hold off and audition a pre/pro in the same price range.
At this level, you can't go wrong, it's just a matter of preference.

Tim MC

Auditioning
Hi Karim. Thanks for the response. I am haven a tough time picking what pre/pro now. The choices are Adcom GTP 760, Parasound AVC 1800 and the EAD theatermaster classic.
For would i use EAD as a power amp with the player. I would look into bryston :). What i want to do is have all mono amps. Easy to add more or take away :). I also like the marantz mono blocks.
Thanks for your time
Tim

Tim MC

Auditioning
Hi guys maybe i will wait and get the theatermaster classic
signature series. As for the amps i realy don't like muti chan amps. Money is always an issue. The norths sound good to me too. I will have to look into them more. The rest of my equipment is:
dvd- pioneer elite dv-05
cd- pioneer elite pd-65
jitter- monarch
6.1 addon- smart device circle surround
amps- b&k st1430, adcom gfa 545mkII, adcom 2535
speakers- Energy c-6(fronts) ac300(center) exl 1.5 and exl-r
(rear) exl-c(center rear)
subs- Energy exl s12(front) audiosource 8inch(rear)
Speaker wire- Mit terminator 2 biwires for the center and fronts, monster 12 guage for the rears.
cables- Nordost solar winds for the amps and monster for the rest of the system.
Have been building it for 2 years now and want better 2chan stereo and amps :). I am happy with the rest of the system but the reciever and the amps now. The upgrade bug never stops :)~
Thanks for your time
Tim Mcdowell

rich wu

Auditioning
Tim,

The EAD Classic is an excellent unit for 2 channel but you should make sure that the DTS is compatible with DVD. When the Classic was introduced several years ago, DVD wasn't around yet so its DTS was only compatible with LD. I spoke to EAD a couple of years ago and they told me that they no longer had parts to upgrade the Classic for DVD DTS. It's possible that the unit you are looking at may already have had the DVD DTS installed.

I have the EAD Signature which is very different from the Classic but my understanding from reading some reviews is that the Classic has better 2 channel sound than the Signature. The Classic has BurrBrown PCM63 DAC chips and sounds very similar to the highly acclaimed EAD DSP9000 DAC. The Classic is not user friendly at all since it doesn't have any sort of display to show the settings.

Rich

Tim MC

Auditioning
Rich thanks for the advice. I would also hate to not have DTS for movies :). I think i can get the theatermaster classic signature for 1300 us funds, but winblows crashed on me and i lost the guys email address :frowning:.
Time to do a search for him.
Thanks for your time
Tim Mc

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks