What's new

How does Criterion determine spine numbers? (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
According to Criterion's website, Boyhood (releasing October 11) is spine #839.

But Pan's Labyrinth, which actually releases a week LATER on October 18, is spine number #838.

If the numbers are assigned based on when they are released, it seems to me like those two should be switched. So that beg the question, how does Criterion determine spine numbering?

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
A better question is.....why is this in the MOVIES section?:D

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I just assume that the spine number is determined before the release date is definitively set. When they assigned spine numbers for, say, the September releases, they knew that they'd be putting out Blood Simple, Cat People, Valley Of The Dolls, Beyond The Valley Of The Dolls, etc. but they didn't know the exact dates for each one when they gave out the numbers.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I agree Travis; it sure looks like the spine numbers are assigned when they've obtained the rights, even if they don't have a release date locked down.

The other quirk is that while the Laserdisc releases had their own numbers (and, occasionally, multiple numbers if released in both CAV and CLV) Blu-Ray shares the spine numbers that were started for DVD. So if they re-obtain the rights to a title that was previously issued on DVD, it will often have a much lower spine number than a truly new release.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
A better question is.....why is this in the MOVIES section?:D

Because I thought I was putting it in the Blu-ray section but somehow didn't in error. The mods are welcome to move it.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
So if they re-obtain the rights to a title that was previously issued on DVD, it will often have a much lower spine number than a truly new release.

That's the bit I like best. It's as much a "Film" number in the curated collection as opposed to a simple spine number.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks