What's new

How do you think the SVS PB2 + will do for Music? (1 Viewer)

Steve Morgan

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
I know Tom or Ron will chime in here but for those out there with SVS subs how do you rate there performance for Music? Being a ported sub versus a sealed sub. From what I heard most say a sealed sub is tighter,quicker and has less overhang than a ported sub.Of course the ported might have better extension for movies. I ask because my Servo 15 went bye,bye today and I am contemplating new subs. I know about SVS service because I have owned a 20-39 when SVS first went into operation. I can't recall the sound it produced, its been a year or more since I sold it. thanks for your input. Thanks Tom, got your e-mail.
Steve

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
Don't forget most people compare a similar sized ported sub to a sealed sub which imho isn't really fair (a great ported sub will be in an EBS alignment with adequate porting imo, other than SVS and Diy I don't see anyone else building it like this). Maybe throw out a suggested price range, room size, music selection, and listen levels and everyone can really pitch in and help you out with a selection.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
I agree - comparison to sealed subs is not entirely fair. Each alignment has strengths and weaknesses.

A sealed 2nd order acoustic suspension design theoretically has the best transient response and shortest group delay - i.e., the ability to start and stop on a dime. It has always been the best choice where uncompromised sound quality is desired. Disadvantages include a fairly high F3 (usually around 30 Hz or higher), and somewhat lower SPL capability as compared to a 4th order vented alignment.

If you are looking for the best compromise for music and HT, the the 4th order vented design, or the passive radiator design is tops, IMHO. You will sacrifice a bit of transient response and group delay in exchange for much deeper extension and greater SPL capability.

The best vented designs (i.e., perfected alignments with very high quality, low-THD drivers) can do both music and HT very well. The SVS comes about as close to a perfect all around sub as I have heard. My 20-39PC+ is excellent for music, and you will hear this repeated from other SVS owners as well.

Muggy, boomy, sluggish, one-note, slow, and inaccurate are not terms you will hear associated with any SV sub, particularly one that employs the TC Sounds dB12 driver.

Regards,

Ed

John Dunlap

Stunt Coordinator
I have a new 2039 PC+ that I just got a few days ago. It is awesome for music. I fired up my Blue Man Group DVD-Audio disk last night and.....
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

The SVS is much better than my PW2200 was musically.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Well, John - I guess I won't be sending you that check for the return shipping on your new 20-39PC+? ;) Glad you're pleased as punch - of course, I didn't expect anything less.

Regards,

Ed

John Dunlap

Stunt Coordinator
:emoji_thumbsup: Yes, I am another happy member of the "SVS Family". Shipped my PW2200 out today. I must admit, it hurt a little bit. The Paradigm is a great sub, but the 2039PC+ is better in just about every way.

I really haven't even had a chance to throw a real challenge at the SVS. Haven't played back anything at reference level yet due to the wife and kids being around. Hopefully I can send them on an errand or 2 this weekend and

John Dunlap

Stunt Coordinator
:emoji_thumbsup: Yes, I am another happy member of the "SVS Family". Shipped my PW2200 out today. I must admit, it hurt a little bit. The Paradigm is a great sub, but the 2039PC+ is better in just about every way.

I really haven't even had a chance to throw a real challenge at the SVS. Haven't played back anything at reference level yet due to the wife and kids being around. Hopefully I can send them on an errand or 2 this weekend and rock the house!:D

BTW-My favorite track on BMG is #10-Monkeybone I think it's called.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
We compared my dad's Dayton DVC 15"-based ported sub to a $1200 M&K sealed sub this past weekend at a local get together. Granted, the M&K was corner loaded and the Dayton was in the middle of the living room, but the one thing everyone noticed was the "quickness" and lack of "overhang" of the ported sub compared to the sealed. Like I said, the sealed sub was corner loaded, so I'd expect it to sound different. But, we've corner loaded this ported sub in the past and we did have similar results.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
I just mailed off a money order for a 25-31cs+ yesterday and I figure it should ship next week sometime. I really am looking forward to seeing how it will perform. I have a corner close to seating that I have it slotted for and I bet I will be thrilled?

Steve Morgan

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
My room is 7500+ cubic feet a large area. I mostly watch DVD's and DSS. Music is about 10%-15% of my listening. I usually listen at about -8dbs, not reference but pretty close. Price range for 1 sub would be $1700. I have a Von Schweikert S/3 already and it is ported. I do have to say it is very quick with little overhang. The port is tuned to 20hz. I am looking to replace the Servo 15 with something that has more impact but still maintains that musical capability.
Steve

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
I really haven't even had a chance to throw a real challenge at the SVS. Haven't played back anything at reference level yet
John:

If your HT room is large, and you are running the sub a few dB "hot", be careful about indiscriminately wicking it up to Reference Level and cutting loose.

The RS meter tends to read a bit low for the bass calibration pink noise, so if you are calibrating 3 dB hot (78 dB or 88 dB depending on the calibration disc), you might be actually as much as 5 dB hot on the sub. Many of the famous bass heavy DVDs are also mastered on the hot side, so work up to loud playback carefully and have your SPL meter handy on C-Weighted Fast.

My self-imposed limit is 112 dB bass peaks on playback 10 feet from the sub and I'm in a 1800 ft3 room. I did hit 114 dB peaks on the AOTC opener the first time I spun that DVD - and that was about 10 clicks under Reference Level with the sub running 4 dB hot. The Plus took it without apparent strain; however 114-115 dB peaks is pushing the safe limits for a single Plus in that size room.

Regards,

Ed

Vince Chan

Stunt Coordinator
I got my 2039 PC+ about a week ago and I'm gettin rid of my PW2200 ASAP too! There's just no comparison between the two!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks